INFLUENCE

"Are you nervous?"

Keri cleared his throat, tapped his fingers on the table, and looked about, "I've seen your father before this; of course, I'm nervous."

Sherifa caressed his hand to stop tapping. "Take a deep breath. It's going to be alright."

Keri breathed in and out. He would have taken another breath if Sherifas's father hadn't arrived. He immediately got up to greet the man he hoped to have as his future father-in-law.

"Sorry, I'm late. This country has terrible traffic. Please tell your candidate that," Mr Al Saud said in a jolly manner.

"I will, sir."

The invitation came right after Severine's win in the first round of the elections. Sherifa's father wanted to catch up with him after shunning his modest origins.

Keri wasn't fooled. He had already whiffed the correlation between Severine's win and the diplomat's sudden interest in him.

"How have you been, sir?"

"Alhamdulillah I am in good health," Mr. Al saud replied.

His arrival prompted the waiter to serve. However, no one got to pick their meal. Rafa, Sherifas's father's secretary ordered the full course beforehand.

Keri looked about. The restaurant wasn't crowded, but he was on his guard. Keri didn't have a security service protecting him. He had to play his spy game himself. He had checked for recording devices under the table by pretending to tie his shoelaces. There were no plant pots or other ornaments that could hide a camera. Only the light above the table stressed the man. Again, Keri knew he was being paranoid. There was no way for anyone to know he would eat there. Hence, a trap was challenging to lay.

"Wow, what a great change we are witnessing. Who would have thought Mrs. Lafarge would make it this far? You did a great job, Keri."

"I assure you I didn't do much."

"Don't be modest," Sherifa interjected. "You worked hard; you even neglected me."

"Ah, Sherifa, let the man do his duty for the country."

Keri noted that Sherifa's father avoided saying his country as if Keri had another nationality. He was right. He was a Muslim before anything less in Mr. Al Saud's mind.

"Tell me, what ministry will she appoint you to?"

Keri adjusted his position in his chair and sipped his sparkling water. "I doubt I will be appointed to any ministry. I joined the campaign to help a friend. I had no alter motives."

Mr. Al Saud chuckled and winked at him, "I bet you didn't. I know how to keep a secret, you know. You can't fool me. There's definitely something for you."

Keri glanced at Sherifa, who just smiled.

There was no doubt her father's sudden interest in him was her doing. Keri imagined how she persuaded her father into believing he would continue to work for Severine, but a ministry!

No, Severine would never take such a risk, causing another uproar by nominating him. The thought was sweetly utopic. Keri knew better than to let himself be swayed by the dangerous ambition.

Despite what many expected of him, Keri planned to return to his simple life. He never wished or desired to do politics.

"Dad, stop taunting him."

"Okay, let's eat."

"How is she?" Mr Al saud asked after taking a few bites."

Keri wiped his mouth with his napkin before asking, "Who?"

"The King of England. Madame Lafarge of course."

Keri cleared his throat, "she's good. She's probably preparing her second debate as we speak."

"And you're not with her," the older man pursued.

Was it a trick question? Keri turned to look at Sherifa.

"Eh, well, I can't be at two places at once," Keri said, smiling.

"Mrs. Barbeau will probably bring up the veil, the multiplication of mosques in France, and France's relationship with the Middle East. Is Madame Lafarge ready for that?"

The drop of sweat that menaced to slalom down his temple began its descent. It wasn't a meal but a bribeㅡa subtle one that would fall under the passive traffic of influence lines for Keri. Mr Al Saud attempted to drive Keri's opinion, hoping the man would whisper a few things in Severine's ear. Keri would gain the diplomate's trust and perhaps his daughter's hand in exchange.

There wasn't anything friendly or pleasant behind Mr Al Sauds apparent cheerful appearance.

"Dad, please. We're supposed to be enjoying this meal. Can the elections skip this discussion?"

"I was just saying that Madame Lafarge should be ready for this. Also, I hope her response will be adequate for those watching abroad.

Keri didn't know whether it was a threat or a gentle reminder. Either way, he felt he had to respond with the same tact. "Severine voices the people's will. She has nothing to fear from Madame Barbeau's attacks. Son message sera claire et sans equivoque. Everyone and everything has their space in this country as long as they respect the principles of liberty, equality, and fraternity."

"I'm glad to hear that," Mr Al Saud said. "I look forward to seeing the future Madame Lafarge will create for this country.

Sherifa redirected the discussions toward safer shores, food, and holidays and replaced the questions about Severine's final prime-time fight with Angelique Barbeau.

The second round debate was the last face-off. Its winner was sure to be president.

"I enjoyed talking to you, Keri. Perhaps next time, we could discuss another subject dear to my daughter's heart," Mr Al Saud said, baiting Keri one last time before getting in his car.

"I hope so, Sir."

"Until then, make sure to win."

The stakes were high for Keri. Severine's win wasn't only hers; it was also his ticket to marriage. Pressures tightened around the man's neck.

"See, things went better than you expected," Sherifa said once her father drove off.

"Your father thinks I'll be a minister. Can you tell me how it's supposed to be good news?"

"Relax, Severine will nominate you."

"How do you know that?"

"Everyone needs allies," Sherifa said as they walked to Keri's car.

"I have no influence. I'm a firefighter."

"You come from the people. You represent part of this population who are misunderstood and unheard. Muslims need someone like you in this government. Don't wait for it to fall on your lap, grasp the role."

"Sherifa."

"You save lives; you're a hero. Become one for Muslim people; look at us. Muslim men and black men like yourself are stalked like terrorists for their convictions. Women can't dress like they desire at work or school without being picked on. It's not an option, Keri. Aim for a ministry. My father will help you. I will help you win and keep your seat."