The Interview with Dr. Birla

Akshara had arrived some 15 minutes ago at Galaxy Hospital where Dr. Birla was a cardiologist. His assistant Rohan, who had contacted her yesterday to fix an interview time, informed her that his last surgery was running a bit late. And he will be coming out of the OT in the next 10 minutes. She took the time to calm down her nerves. This is the first time she was interviewing for a job. Obviously, she was nervous. Also, the unusual nature of the job made her even more apprehensive. She remembered the conversation she had with Mrs. Shetty yesterday.

After a few greetings and small talk, Mrs. Shetty asked, "Akshara, are you still looking for a job?"

"Yes, M'am"

"I have something that you might be interested in. It is for my friend's grandchildren. They are 6 -year old twins, a girl and a boy. They are in the first grade. Their father is looking for a home tutor for them."

Akshara felt hopeful. She may not have a B.ed degree but she had taken lot of tutions for primary kids when she was in college. This will be a good opportunity.

"That's sounds fine, M'am. But what is so unusual about it.

"The thing is that he also wants a caretaker who would be with them from the time they come to school till 8 in the evening.

"You see their last caretaker, a young girl of 20, eloped with her boyfriend while on duty. So their father wants a more mature and responsible person to care for them when he is away at work.

"Oh."

"Akshara, this may essentially seem like a nanny's job and may not appeal to you. But the money they are offering is good. And they are a good family. Avni Birla has been my friend from my B.ed days. I have known her and her family for a long time. They will treat you well."

"But I will have to discuss this with my family."

"I understand Akshara. If you want I can talk to your parents. You can also meet Dr. Birla and the kids before both of you come to a decision."

"Dr. Birla?"

"That is my friend's son. Dr. Abhimanyu Birla. He works at Galaxy Hospital. He is one of the reputed cardiac surgeons in India.

"And what about his wife?"

Mrs. Shetty was silent for a moment. "She died a few years ago. The kids were only 1 then."

Akshara's heart sank at her words. Why is life so unfair? Here were two kids growing up without a mom and here was she who lost 3 babies and would never know the joy of having one. Before her mind began spiralling, Mrs. Shetty's voice brought her back to the world.

"Akshara, are you there?

"Yes, M'am," she said as she blinked back at the tears gathered in her eyes.

Why don't you just meet them and see. If all works well, you can start on your B.ed next semester.

Akshara agreed. Mrs. Shetty bade her goodbye promising to be in touch with further details.

When she had shared the news with her family, they were also unsure. But encouraged her to attend the interview and take it from there. So here she was awaiting Dr. Birla.

Akshara saw Rohan approaching her and got up. "Miss Goenka, sir has asked you to wait in his cabin. He will join in 5 minutes. Please follow me." He opened a door at the end of the corridor that read Dr. Abhimanyu Birla.

As she looked around the neat office, she realized that Dr. Birla was a perfectionist and expected the same from others. Although lacking in experience, Akshara was meticulous at what she did. This boosted her confidence and as she sat straight on the chair, she heard the door opening behind her.