Convincing the Kids

Abhimanyu Birla loved his children more than anything and anyone in this world, like any other parent. And like any other parent he also often doubted his parenting. Whether he is too strict, too casual, or too friendly. There were so many parenting theories around, he often wondered whether he is doing the right thing. But one thing he was super proud of was setting their bedtime. Bedtime at 8 was non-negotiable; the one thing that neither Abhir nor Ruhi could make their father budge from. And try they did! As they slept at 8, they got up sharp at 6, giving him the chance to spend some quality time with them. He was really proud of this.

But he couldn't really appreciate himself right now. It was six in the morning when his alarm rang and he groaned. He had forgotten to switch if off when he came at 1 in the night. He had a surgery that ran late and now he wanted to catch up on some sleep. But he couldn't allow himself to fall back into deep slumber after switching his alarm off. He counted till 10 and lo and behold, the door of his bedroom sprung open with loud shouts of "Baba....wake up wake up."

Although he anticipated it, he couldn't stop groaning when two little bodies jumped on his back. "Guys, you are not little anymore. You together weigh more than 50."

"Baba, you are being silly. You pick up more than 50 kg of weight at the gym," giggled Ruhi. "She is right, Baba. Just excuses to not wake up. You had promised that we will get to have a chocolate milkshake from the cafe downstairs today," chimed in her twin Abhir.

"Ok my munchkins. I do remember. But for that you need to get off my back so that I can get up from the bed." The kids laughed and eased their weight off their father's back. But it was just for a second because as soon as Abhimanyu turned around, they fell back on him, the three of them huddled together in a giant cuddle. "Baba, we missed you so much. You did not even call yesterday," whined Ruhi,.

"Sorry, my princess. I had back to back surgeries the whole day and when I got a break at 8.30, you guys were already sleeping. I missed you both too."

"Baba, when did you come yesterday? Were you very late?" asked Abhir. "A bit. Betu." "Then you must sleep Baba. Sorry for waking you up," said Ruhi a bit worriedly.

"No No, my children. I cannot miss spending my morning with my favorite people. We can all sleep till late tomorrow. After all it is sleepday tomorrow."

Not sleepday, Baba...Sunday," both giggled. "It is the same for me," said Abhimanyu.

Saturday was the favorite day for the twins and their father. Although Abhimanyu had to go to the hospital for a few hours on Saturday, he could spend a longer time with them on this day. They would go to the mall, or the zoo, or whichever place the twins fancied. The bedtime was eased on Saturday, where they watched a movie till late night and slept till late on Sundays. It was also the only day when the kids slept with their father in his room. This was the best part of Saturdays.

"Ok kids. Let me get up. I will go and freshen up. Why dont you go and call Chachu?"

"Baba, that is the most difficult task. Chachu is like Kumbakaran when it comes to sleep," said Abhir. Abhimanyu chuckled at that. "I know but you guys are experts and can do it. All you need to go slowly near him and scream in his ears."

"Wow, that's such a brilliant idea, Baba. How do you know this," asked Abhir.

Abhimanyu smirked. "It is a page from your Chachu's book of tricks itself. But kids, no making noise in the hall. Dadi is sleeping, and I dont want you to disturb her. You know she has trouble sleeping at night."

"Yes Baba. dont worry. We wil go inside Chachu's room, close the door slowly, and only then scream in his ears," said Ruhi very seriously. Abhir nodded with equal seriousness. They knew that Baba was very serious when it came to Dadi's health.