0.3 prologue ✔️

prologue "the desire for gold sit not for the gold

prologue
"the desire for gold sit not for the gold.
it is for the means for the freedom and benefit."
     - ralph waldo emerson

˚✧₊⁎*⁎⁺˳✧༚

     THE yellow flowers' green stems stretched down into the porcelain vase, every petal represented an individual burst of sunshine— like slices of happiness. The tulips represented happiness, optimism, sunshine. . . everything that Farrah 'Fay' Montgomery was not.

     Mayhaps that was the reason the dark haired girl adored the flowers so much. In spite of the blazing fire of tawny eyes sweeter than chocolate itself, wickedness swam in her soul. And her soul was anything but a striking shade of happiness. It was dark— dark like the ocean at midnight, the only things present to guide way being the illuminating moon and shining stars. Farrah Montgomery was many things. A girl who not only spoke her truth, but knew her own authority. The tulips that currently decorated her room represented everything she wasn't, in the worst and best ways possible.

     "Farrah! Are you ready soon?" As if on cue, the dark haired girl exited the small bathroom, stepping into the crammed livingroom where both of her dads were located.

     Bryan and Phillip Montgomery had the adoption papers signed and ready before Farrah even was born. Her mother was too young to possibly imagine raising a child, and her biological father was out of the picture the second he found out his girlfriend was pregnant. The second Bryan and Phillip got the call about the unborn baby girl, they knew it was fate. Originally they'd given up on the idea of every having a baby together. Neither one of them had the stability of a career, nor did they have any idea how to raise a child. Shit, they couldn't even get legally married at the time! But they knew, oh, the moment the call came through they just knew. At least that's the story they swooned to tell Farrah over and over everytime the topic presented itself.

Farrah grew up a little princess— her two dads doing their best to make sure she felt special despite of their economic situation. The girl wasn't stupid. She understood from a very young age that the world was divided into two kinds of people. The ones who sat in the chair with their feet in the bath, and the ones kneeling before the bath. Even more so on Kildare Island, a place where you either had two jobs or two houses. The Montgomery girl often times believed she was born to live a luxurious life, yet forced to live pay check to pay check.

     "You look beautiful." Bryan grinned widely, his phone tightly in his grasp. The man had a few dresses lying around from when his mother passed away, dresses he intended to keep but was forced to sell. They desperately needed the income, and as Farrah had zero interest in wearing them publicly, selling was the only viable option.

     Phillip glanced up from his seat on the ragged green couch residing in the corner of their very small living room, a proud look on his face. "Are you sure you don't want to keep it? You could use the fabric to make into something more your taste." He suggested encouragingly. The dress was pretty, yes. But not in a Farrah Montgomery way. Besides, even if she wanted to keep it, she knew they needed the money.