Chapter 5

Doramis

Doramis sat in her car at the parking lot of her school. She was deep in thought as students walked around her and towards the school. She couldn't get her mind off the death of Ivy. She didn't know Ivy well but she was always nice to her. She always thought Ivy was very cool and pretty. She couldn't believe she'll never see her again.

There was a knock on her window causing Doramis to jump. She found Ken waving at her. She lowered the window. "You scared me."

"Why are you just sitting here?" asked Ken. "Shouldn't you be going to class?"

Doramis realized Ken must not know about Ivy yet but it was only a matter of time. "Just have a lot on my mind."

Ken pointed at the passenger's seat. "Can I join you?"

She gave him a nod as she unlocked the doors. Ken walked around the car and got inside the passenger's side. Doramis raised her window. She contemplated telling Ken what happened.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"Don't I look alright?" said Doramis with a smile.

"You look sad."

Doramis removed the false smile from her face. "How is it you can always tell how I feel?"

"I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with the fact we've known each other for as long as we can remember."

"Something bad happened yesterday," she said, looking away from him.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine. Nothing happened to me. At least nothing physical."

"What mentally happened to you?" asked Ken.

"Did I say something mentally happened to me?" she asked as she gave him an annoyed look.

"Kinda. Nothing happened to me. At least nothing physical," he said in his best impression of her. "It implies something mentally happened."

"I don't sound like that."

"What happened?"

"I'm not sure I should say. I don't think I have a right to say, but you'll eventually find out soon. Everyone will."

"That sounds very ominous."

Someone opened the door to the back seat and got inside the car. Doramis and Ken were startled until they saw who it was.

"Damn it, Junior," said Doramis. "You scared me."

"Don't call me Junior, I'll accept Robbie, and I'm assuming you're here because of what happened to Ivy."

"What happened to Ivy?" asked Ken.

Robbie looked at Doramis. "You haven't told him yet?"

"Your father told you?"

"Not really. I looked through his papers and saw. I knew there was something wrong because of the way he was acting."

"What happened to Ivy?" repeated Ken as he looked between Doramis and Robbie.

"She was murdered yesterday," said Robbie.

"Junior!" exclaimed Doramis. "You shouldn't have told him."

"Ivy was murdered?" said Ken, his voice cracking.

"He was going to find out sooner than later," said Robbie. "Everyone will."

"But it shouldn't have been us," said Doramis.

"Do they know who killed her?" asked Ken.

"My mom thinks it was an animal."