Chapter 9

Doramis

There was a knock at the Baez's residence. "Can you get that?" yelled Lucy from the bathroom.

Doramis was eating a bowl of cornflakes when she heard her mother. She gulped down her food and wiped her mouth. "It's probably for you. Why don't you open it?"

"Please don't be difficult, young lady. Just get the door."

"Whatever," said Doramis under her breath as she went to the door. When she opened the door, she was surprised to see who was there. "Mayor Pietro," she said, the shock in her voice audible. "And Sheriff Lawrence and I don't know you."

"Ashner," he said, aggravation in his tone. "Is your mother home?"

"Mom," yelled Doramis. "All the important people in town are here. Plus one."

Sheriff Lawrence laughed. "That's you," he said to Ashner.

"Funny."

"It really is," said Sheriff Lawrence, not being able to contain his amusement.

"Is it alright if we come in?" Mayor Pietro asked Doramis.

"Sure," said Doramis as she opened the door wide.

"Who is it?" asked Lucy as she came down the stairs and saw Mayor Pietro coming inside. Lucy stopped half way down. "Isabella, what are you doing here?" Lucy watched as Sheriff Lawrence and Ashner entered her house.

"I'm here to talk about what happened last night," said Mayor Isabella Pietro.

"What happened last night?" asked Doramis. "Did you get the bear?"

Isabella looked at Ashner. "Yeah, they got the bear." She returned her sights to Lucy. "But that's not why I'm here."

"Dori," said Lucy. "Can you take our guest to the living room?"

"Follow me," said Doramis as she led them to the living room. "If it's not about the bear, why are you here?"

Doramis gestured for them to sit down on the couches. Ashner and Isabella sat down while Sheriff Lawrence stood at the doorway as Lucy walked in.

"It's about the person who shot at me," said Lucy.

"Someone shot at you last night?" exclaimed Doramis. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"Because it was nothing for you to worry about."

"But someone shot at you?"

"Maybe."

"That's exactly the reason why we're here," said Isabella. "I want to know if you're certain someone was actually shooting at you."

"What's wrong, Isabella, worried about little ol' me?"

"More like worried that someone has the balls to try and kill one of my citizens."

"Is that all I am to you, one of your citizens?"

"Stop messing around," cut off Ashner. "And answer the question."

Lucy glared at Ashner then turned her gaze to Isabella. "Your boy toy is no fun."

"I said cut it off."

"Quiet," said Isabella. "Lucy, this is serious. Was someone actually trying to kill you last night?"

"I can't say I'm a hundred percent sure someone was trying to kill me, but they shot a lot of awful times towards me. They didn't stop until I shot back."

"You shot back?" exclaimed Ashner. "Why didn't you say so last night?" Lucy only gave him a shrug. "Did you hit them?"

"No idea. I guess you should check with the doctor and see if she's received any gunshot victims."