Chapter 8

Lucy

Lucy walked between the group who were gathered outside of the forest for the hunt. The crowd was bigger than she expected. She had no idea her neighbors were so gung ho. She found Sheriff Lawrence standing by the side of his patrol vehicle with his eyes closed.

"Yo," she said, getting him to open his eyes.

"Yo," he said back. He reached inside his vehicle and pulled out a clipboard. He searched for something on the paper before returning his sights on Lucy. "I don't see your name on the list. Did you sign up for the hunt?"

"Let me see that?" she said, reaching out for the clipboard. He handed it over and she looked through it. "Nope, my name is not here. But neither is yours." She handed the clipboard back.

"Police don't have to sign up. What's your excuse?"

"Didn't feel like waiting in line to sign a piece of paper."

"This is so we know who's out there."

"Well, now you know I'm joining you."

"You should go home, Lucy," said Sheriff Lawrence. "Between me and you, this is a waste of time."

"So you agree with Isabella?"

"Yes. Animals will be animals. Shit was a freak accident. I honestly doubt it will ever happen again."

"Oh you're not one of those people who believe the animal got a taste for human blood?" she asked, sarcastically.

"Of course not. It was probably a mama bear who thought its cubs were in danger and Ivy was in the wrong place, wrong time. God rest her soul."

Lucy gave Sheriff a rub on his shoulder. He put his hand over hers and they shared a moment over the person they lost.

"Lucy," said a voice from behind, interrupting their moment.

Lucy pulled her hand away from Lawrence as they looked back. "Paloma," said Lucy. "Don't tell you're here for the hunt too?"

"I'm not," said Paloma. "I'm actually looking for my son. You haven't seen him, have you? I believe he might be with your daughter."

"My daughter should be at home."

"Is she?"

"I wouldn't say for certain. She is a teenager and if I remember when I was a teenager, I didn't do anything that my mother told me to do."

"Let's hope your daughter is nothing like you, for our children's sake."

"Yeah, I think it's too late for that," said Lucy as she pulled out her cellphone. "The girl reminds me of myself every single day." She dialed Doramis' number and after five seconds, she could hear the Spanish pop ringtone within the crowd. "This girl," said Lucy as she walked between the crowd, followed by Paloma.

They found Doramis, Ken and Robbie within the crowd. Doramis was trying to turn her phone off.

"Doramis Angelica Baez," said Lucy with authority. "Didn't I tell you to go home?"

"Kenneth," said Paloma. "Come here this instance." Ken went to his mother who grabbed him by the arm. "You're definitely punished." She gave Lucy a nod before leaving with her son.

Doramis had a sad look as she watched her friend get pulled away.

"Don't feel bad for him," said Lucy as she snapped her fingers at her daughter. "You're just in much trouble, if not worse." She grabbed Lucy by the arm and pulled her along. "I'm taking you home right this instant." She stopped long enough to look back at Robbie. "Does your father know you're out here?"