Chapter 2 Part 4 Your Word is a Lamp unto My Feet

I woke up with dry marks on my cheeks and a pillow that felt drenched in water. 

The object that became an artifact firmly grasped in my hand. Our holiday was ruined, on the first day, so much for believing otherwise. Ashley lay beside me and Jamie on the couch with his cell phone still in his hand.

A sound came from the balcony. 

It must be what initially woke me up as I got up to go see. There was light rain outside, which I could not hear until I opened the door. The design of the place probably did not allow for external sounds.

I stood on the balcony as water fell from heaven, immediately soaked, but not a care in the world present in my life. 

The view represented my life, tears and darkness as far as I could see. Although the rain was gushing down, it was still pretty busy in the streets. I wish we could be down there, dancing in the rain and having the time of our lives.

Kept my eyes closed and my ears open to the rain.

''I need to hear and see you grandmother,'' I whispered.

These words lit up the artifact which was still in my hand, and an alternate universe portal appeared before my eyes.

Transported me directly to my deceased grandmother, who awaited me in a temple made of letters. I could see the alphabet in the designs of everything.

In the silence, my grandmother's voice came to me like second nature from one of the rooms. My heart was beating uncontrollably.

''Seulgi!, come here my child,'' she called.

I approached the room to find her well-dressed in black, sitting upright. She looked like someone had healed her with magic since I last saw her.

''I never finished our story, but I knew I would see you again. Allow me a moment to continue,'' she said.

''The artifact I gave you had been in our family for many generations. I am the seventh generation to possess it. Although only one of the seventh has used the artifact's true potential. The right words spoken by the wielder of the artifact awaken half its power. Completing the challenges awakens the actual power. The ability to speak anything into existence,'' she explained.

''There had been two clans that possess two different artifacts. The one is for the Tongi clan and the other one is for the Earli clan.''

''We belong to the Tong clan. I need you to go to a village and take my ashes there. They will help you understand better and show you your quest.''

''You have awakened half the power by speaking the right words and being able to come to me. I will be your guidance when you need me,'' she continued to explain.

''Please teach me how I can acquire its full power so that I can bring you back to me,'' I inquired.

I found myself instantly transported back to the balcony. Still confused, but with hope in my heart.

The sky started to turn yellowish after the rain stopped, with rays everywhere, but it was just my first time seeing the sunrise in the east. 

Mesmerized by the event that took place, I woke my friends up, even more determined to uncover the secrets of the artifact and the people we belong to. The sadness had subsided after seeing my grandmother again. I could bring her back and everyone else with this power.

We cleaned ourselves up and went downstairs for breakfast and planning. Jin was not in his usual place for me to question him again about what my grandmother had told me. We sat and ate while giving our opinions on the artifact. Seems like they did more research last night while I was sleeping.

''Seulgi, are you alright? You know this will not bring your grandmother back, right?'' Ashley asked.

''How do you know? Stop being so negative,'' I responded harshly.

''Guys, please!'' Jamie added.

In walked Jin with baggage, accompanied by my parents, right behind him. The present staff in the dining room hall all bowed together at the sight of my parents. Made me wonder if I knew my parents. My dad had been in the post office business for a long time, and my mother had been a teacher all her life.

The questions were piling up and the surrounding people became strangers. The more suspicious I became.

My parents embraced me like never before in my life. Love with a pinch of guilt. I would have bawled my eyes out at the sight of my parents, but because I saw my grandmother this morning, I felt much better.

''Mom! Dad! How did you guys get here so quickly?" Ii inquired.

''We used a private jet that belonged to your grandmother. I hope you are okay. You probably have so many questions. Your grandmother should never have given you that artifact,'' Eun answered.

''I explicitly told her not to give it to you, but you guys share the same stubborn genes,'' Eun added.

''Remember why we are here, my love. Just tell her the entire story, please!'' Bae said.

My father placed the ashes of my grandmother on the table. The silence was unbearable, like precautions before a tsunami. He looked directly into my eyes to prepare me for what he was about to say.

''Sir, before you say anything, I would just like to tell Seulgi and her friends that I was a samurai many years back,'' Jin interrupted.

''The one thing that sent shivers down my spine was a story about a person that possessed the full power of the artifact who once spoke these words in a village. Your faith has healed you. Everyone that was sick in that village got healed instantly,'' Jin revealed.

''Seulgi my daughter, the place we are in right now belongs to our family,'' Eun said.

ONC 2024 Chapter 2 completed.

Please comment and share.