Chapter 5 Part 9 Words on my skin

One book opened, causing the room to light up, and we heard the unmistakable sound of pages turning near us. Before our very eyes, the room underwent a change - dust vanished, replaced by a comforting warmth. The floor marbled with inscriptions of letters everywhere I looked. There were pictures on the walls.

I recognized my grandmother from one of them, when she was still young and the rest must be my ancestors.

''Wow, come look at this! They all have the artifact around their neck!'' I said.

No response from Luigi made me curious as to what he found. I made my way over to him, where he stood in front of the open book.

''There is nothing written, it is a blank!'' Luigi said.

''Let me see, perhaps only I can read it." I said.

There was nothing to read. I encountered another blank page with each turn. We were running out of time, all the people of the Tong clan were waiting for us. Fatigue had also set in while we continued to look for clues around the place, to no avail. Only more stories in the other books and ways to use different languages to communicate.

A few of the books here, I had read on Wattpad.

''You know my father actually wanted me to work at our local library this summer vacation like every other year. Thank heavens I have friends to travel with.'' I said.

''Probably to keep you out of the busy streets of New York. A library must be the safest place to be around there. I would love to go visit you when this is all over.'' Luigi said.

''Sure, why not?'' I said.

I stopped searching when I found a big couch just to rest my eyes for a bit. The only thing that kept me awake at this point was the conversation. I wish we could have had it under different circumstances. A good shower, nice clothes and that enormous mirror with my makeup kit in the hotel would do.

He continued to search through the place.

Luigi's loud call and the break of dawn interrupted my sleep. 

Rays of the sun pierced through the windows like it assisted in our search. His voice ricochet against my ears again, with more excitement this time. I rushed over to him, found him in a corner with a lot of books all around him.

''Did you binge read all night long? What did you find?'' I asked.

''I found a lot of ancient text that says the wielder of the artifact has the ability to activate the book, but does not say how. It is all up to you now," he answered. 

I continued the search and found myself back in the book of Proverbs. Paged through it slowly to look for hidden clues, closed the book in despair.

The book was an old, brownish leathered cover with silver lettering deeply carved into it. It had two handprints beneath the lettering, well crafted. I placed my hands firmly on the cover, but it did not fit the shape.

When I closed my eyes, I felt it mold to the shape of my hands.

''If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself!'' I exclaimed.

With those words, I felt a power surge through my hands and into every part of my body. Black ink tattoos of letters and words started to spiral around my arms.

When I opened the book, writing started to appear.

The first page read, '' The power that resides in this book will guide you towards a future so bright. Arise and shine, for your light has come. Count your words from here on. Use them sparingly.''

''Let your words come from a pure heart.''

I called to Luigi, but there was no response, eager to turn the page again. I had to compose myself and breath for a bit. This was all too much.

Made my way to Luigi instead, who was out like a light. I ran outside to see a glorious new day unfold.

Birds were singing through the trees, and flowers bloomed through the garden. The letters were not my imagination, but a work of art. A river ran not far from the temple and I made my way over. The temple from the outside had the prettiest features, from the M-shaped roof that gave the appearance of my lips in a way and the different flora that surrounded the temple. Cleaned myself up for a bit by the water, felt rejuvenated when my hands and face touched the water.

The tattoos contained the alphabet artistically. They went all the way up my arms. I had become words on a page.

I sat there. The holiday had been a lot to deal with. Kept my eyes closed to listen to the river and gather my thoughts and cleanse my heart. My stomach did not agree with the soul searching moment though.

An idea poured through my mind to use the power as a test.

''The early bird gets the worm!'' I said.

''Before me now, lay down a table of the best food I love to eat.''

A table appeared with a white cloth and four chairs on either side. It started to fill up with all my favorite foods since I was a child.

My whole life, on one table because you are what you eat. I took a hotdog and bit into it.

''It is real!'' I said.

I ran as fast as I could back to the temple.

''Luigi! Luigi! You have to see this!" I exclaimed.

He was still fast asleep. I woke him, and he followed me blindly down to the river to see what I had created.

''You finally did it! How did you solve it? Where did you get the tattoos? By the way, you look good with those tattoos,'' he said.

''Well, these hands are magical. It was there all along. We can go find my friends and head back to the village so I can help everyone.'' I said.