the cook

[Delbert, Jim, and Mr. Arrow make their way down into the galley beneath the deck into the kitchen.]

DELBERT: That woman! That...feline! Who does she think is working for whom?

JIM: It's my map, and she's got me bussin' tables?

MR. ARROW: l'll not tolerate a cross word about our captain! There's no finer officer in this or any galaxy. [Whistling from the kitchen.] Mr. Silver?

SILVER: Why, Mr. Arrow, sir. Bringin' in such fine and distinguished gents to grace my humble galley. Had I known, l'd have tucked in me shirt. Heh heh heh heh!

[Jim analyzes the chef’s robot leg, arm, ear and laser eye]

JIM: (gasp) A cyborg!

MR. ARROW: May I introduce Dr. Doppler? The financier of our voyage.

SILVER: Love the outfit, Doc.

DELBERT: Well, thank you. Um, love the eye. Uh, this young lad is Jim Hawkins.

SILVER: Jimbo! Uh...Aw, now, don't be too put off by this hunk of hardware. [He starts humming as he uses his mechanical arm to prepare a stew] Whoa! These gears have been tough getting used to, but they do come in mighty handy from time to time. [Humming] Mmm! Here, now, have a taste of me famous bonzabeast stew.

DELBERT: [Sniffing] Mmm! Delightfully tangy, yet robust.

SILVER: Old family recipe.

DELBERT: [Notices an eye in his stew] Aah!

SILVER: ln fact, that was part of the old family! Ha ha ha! Oh, ho! I'm just kiddin', Doc! [He eats the eye from the stew]

DELBERT: Uh, yeah, well...

SILVER: I'm nothin' if I ain't a kidder. Go on, Jimbo. Have a swig.

[Jim looks down at his spoonful of stew when suddenly the spoon seems to come to life and take a gulp of the stew. It turns into a pink blop and proceeds to drink the rest of the stew,]

SILVER: Morph! You jiggle-headed blob of mischief! So that's where you was hiding!

[Morph chatters and burps as he finishes the stew]

JIM: Wha--? Ha! What is that thing?

MORPH: What is that thing?

SILVER: He's a morph. I rescued the little shape-shifter on Proteus 1. [Cooing] Aw, he took a shine to me. We been together ever since. Right? Yeah. Nice boy.

MR. ARROW: We're about to get underway. Would you like to observe the launch, doctor?

DELBERT: Would l? Does an active galactic nucleus have superluminal jets?...l'll follow you.

MR. ARROW: Mr. Hawkins will stay here in your charge, Mr. Silver.

SILVER: [Cough] Beggin' your pardon, sir, but--

MR. ARROW: Captain's orders! See to it the new cabin boy's kept busy.

SILVER: Aw, but, no, but--

JIM: No, you can't--[Both sigh]

SILVER: So, Captain's put you with me, eh?

JIM: Whatever.

SILVER: Well, who be a humble cyborg to argue with a captain?

JIM: Yeah...You know, these purps...they're kind of like the ones back home...on Montressor. You ever been there?

SILVER: l can't say as I have, Jimbo.

JIM: Come to think of it, just before I left, l met this old guy, who was, um...he was kind of looking for a cyborg and demon buddy's of his.

SILVER: ls that so?

JIM: Yeah. What was that old salamander's name? Oh, yeah. Bones. Billy Bones?

SILVER: Bones? Booones? Mm-mmm. T'ain't ringin' any bells. Must have been a different cyborg. There's a slew of cyborgs and demons roamin' this port.

[A whistle sounds on-deck, signaling they'll be launching soon.]

MR. ARROW: Prepare to cast off!

SILVER: Eh, off with you, lad, and watch the launch. There'll be plenty work a-waitin' for you afterwards. [Jim leaves and Silver watches him climb the steps to the deck] We best be keepin' a sharp eye on this one, eh, Morph? We wouldn't want him strayin' into things he shouldn't.

[Back on deck, the crew are preparing to launch.]

ONUS: We're all clear, Captain!

AMELIA: Well, my friend. Are we ready to raise this creaking tub?

MR. ARROW: My pleasure, Captain. All hands to stations! Smartly now!

BIRD BRAIN MARY: Come on, you scurvy scum! l'll race you!

MR. ARROW: Loose all solar sails! Heave up the braces. Brace up.

DELBERT: Ooh. Oh.

AMELIA: Mr. Drewkiss, engage artificial gravity.

GRIMM:Aye-aye Capitan[turned on the ship engines and gravity drive] she purring Capitan

AMELIA: South by southwest, Mr. Turnbuckle, heading 2-1-0-0.

MR. TURNBUCKLE: Aye, Captain. 2-1-0-0.

AMELIA: Full speed, Mr. Arrow, if you please.

MR. ARROW: Take her away! [Revving]

AMELIA: Brace yourself, Doctor.

DELBERT: [Snidely] Brace yourself. [He flies backwards as the ship takes off] Aah! Oof!

JIM: Whoa. [A pod of space whales fly by the ship]

DELBERT: Upon my word, an Orcus Galacticus [He goes to photograph them]. Smile!

AMELIA: Uh, Doctor, l'd stand clear--Ha.

SILVER: Ah. 'tis a grand day for sailing, Captain. And look at you, you're as trim and as bonny as a sloop with new sails and a fresh coat of paint.

AMELIA: You can keep that kind of flim-flammery for your spaceport floozies, Silver.

MORPH: Spaceport floozy, spaceport floozy-- [Silver scoops Morph up under his hat]

SILVER: You cut me to the quick, Captain. l speaks nothing but me heart at all times.

MORPH: Nothing but me heart--

AMELIA: And, by the way, isn't that your cabin boy aimlessly footling about in those shrouds?

SILVER: Yep, it--oh...A momentary aberration, Cap'n, soon to be addressed. Jimbo! l got two new friends l'd like you to meet. Say hello to Mr. Mop and Mrs. Bucket. Heh heh heh heh!

JIM:(not happy at all)Yippie.