Chapter 7: Strange New World

As time passed, I've gotten used to being a robot more and more over time, but this life still had its challenges. As Astro & I became official heroes, we've faced the known and unknown while protecting the city. Once my seventh birthday rolled around, I was excited to see what Dr. Tenma had planned for my special day, which started out with Astro knocking on my door. "Astra, time to wake up, breakfast is almost ready, and it's an extra special one for you since it's your birthday!" I'd energetically got out of bed and straight to the kitchen, Astro tried to keep up with me since he was now ten basically making him my older brother. Dr. Tenma set down three plates of french toast & bacon, it smelled almost like someone's home cooking... but I guess it just smells like that. I sat down next to Astro so we could chat, then Dr. Tenma politely interrupted, "So Astra, it's been a full year since you became a robot. You'll have to be more careful now and then, you'll have to be cautious with your actions if you don't want to end up hurting yourself or family." I nodded, "Yes sir... what do you have planned for  my birthday?! Can you take me to the amusement park?! Or- or- the marine park! No wait!- I wanna go to the anual Metro Fest parade & downtown carnival!" All he did was smile since he admired my enthusiasm, "Astra, you're a sweet little girl, but you have to finish your studies. We'll do something fun after all of your work is finished." After breakfast, I did what Dr. Tenma asked me to do, but I hated doing my studies since it was starting to get boring, looking through the window is more fun than all of this work. Hours later, I finished my studies for today and was awarded- a pat on the back for a job well done, "B- but- I- I thought?! You told me that once I'm finished with my work then you would take Astro & I somewhere fun!" Dr. Tenma merely just walked away, "You're hard work is enough of an reward than something physical like an amusement park." 

That night, I was really upset about how today went, so I've decided to leave this place- until I'm ready to come back. I'd packed my backpack, opened my window, then carefully flew out, but I made sure to close my window back up before I left. Once I reached downtown, I decided to walk all alone in the crowd, the thought of leaving Astro made me feel like a bad person. Everything was calm as usual, up until the police were chasing after a group of robbers throughout the crowd. Bystanders got out of the way, while I decided to stand in front of them managing to trip the group, making them drop the things they stole. The officers thanked me for my help then I continued walking alone, my little journey led me to the park. I'd sat down on a bench to rest up and recharge a little. While eating a bag of energy chips, I felt a strange energy reading. I immediately got up to investigate, the energy reading led me to an old oak tree that has been in the park for who knows how long. I investigated all around it, but it seemed that maybe my sensors are on the fritz. I placed my hand on the tree, all of a sudden I was sucked in by some kind of portal never to be seen again- or so I thought. 

I landed in a field full of- fallen down tractors with eyes?! It seemed that someone else was here before, but I couldn't figure out who. I tried to stand up, but my knee was covered in dirt and scraped from the fall. I looked around, then heard something in the distance, it sounded like an angry bull. Just then, this massive red thing came rushing toward me, I was luckily saved by a rusty sentient tow truck. Once safe, the tow truck stopped in front of a motel which the rooms were shaped like traffic cones. "Um- th- thanks... I've ne- never seen a vehicle a- alive before... where am I?!" The tow truck replied, "Where are you? Shoot... you're in Radiator Springs, the cutest little town in Carburetor County. Yer a funny-looking thing... I ain't seen anything strange as yourself before." I looked around the town, it seemed like a nice place, but getting used to sentient vehicles will be a challenge. "Erm- who- who are you anyway? My name is Ashley, but I'd prefer to be called Ash." The tow truck smiled and replied, "My name is Mater, like tamater but without the ta. You look like yer hurt, I'll go talk to Sally and see if you could stay in a cone for the night." Mater drove into the lobby and started talking to a blue Porsche, I peeked through the doorway as they talked. They both rolled out then Sally carefully approached me, "So you must be the strange visitor, don't be scared you're safe here. Since you're a bit too young to be alone, I'll let you stay with someone very nice that I know." I followed her to the first motel room, then she'd knocked on the door with her front tire. The door opened, and I was face to face with another sentient vehicle. He was a bright red car with decals, blue eyes, and it seemed to me that he's a custom built stock car for racing. "Lightning, this little girl needs somewhere to stay, so I thought you could let her be with you since she's too young to be alone." Lightning looked at me, and I looked back, we were both a bit nervous, "Uh- sure thing Sal... I'll watch her..." After I set up my sleeping bag, I layed down and fell asleep without saying anything else. All that night, I was wondering what this dimension was like, maybe the residents here could show me around, and maybe share their culture with me.