37

Liyah
Med-School

"what precautions should you take before anesthesia" my med school teacher, ms.cohen, asked

i raised my hand

"maaliyah"

"avoid food and drinks for eight hours before you go to the hospital unless directed otherwise. quit smoking, even if it's just for one day before the procedure, to improve heart and lung health"

"good work"

"thank you"

"next question, we're going to go a little bit back to the basics, what are the 3 main phases of anesthesia, and identify what they are"

"corey"

"induction, maintenance, and uhhhh"

we waited for like 3 minutes

"maaliyah can you help him out" ms.cohen asked

"induction, which is getting the patient to sleep, maintenance, which is keeping the patient sleep during the operation, and lastly, emergence, waking the patient up at the end of the procedure"

"wow, maaliyah's on a roll, show her some love"

i looked around and my fellow mates was just looking at me

whatever

"jebari, i got a question for you"

"you sure you don't want maaliyah to answer it"

"jebari calm down"

"oh no shade to you boo, i just been having my hand up and your hand is the only one she see"

"ohok"

"jebari i don't have time for your extra-ness, this is not middle or high school"

"ok cohen"

"it's ms.cohen" she corrected him

i laughed

"anyways, what's your question" he asked her

"what does the basic elements of general anesthesia include"

"unconsciousness, amnesia, analgesia, muscle relaxation, should i go on"

"no, very good job jebari"

"see, we can all win" i said, looking at jebari

he likes to act like he don't like me, i know he like me, he wanna be my friend.

"girl whatever"

im going to school to be an anesthesiologist.

anesthesiologists are medical doctors just like your primary care physician and surgeon. we specialize in anesthesia care, pain management, and critical care medicine, and have the necessary knowledge to understand and treat the entire human body.

it takes about 12 to 14 years to finish school in this medical field, but us in this class were specially trained and picked in a programmed to take off way earlier than that.

i guess the fact that all of us are smart gets to their head sometimes, but anybody can answer a question, im passionate about this so of course i study and take it serious.