Fight

Cade

We were sitting in the abandoned gas station. Lea was sitting in a corner. Tess's boyfriend was sitting next to her. I was next to them.

"Lea," she turned to me, "why didn't you stay in your-I can't believe I'm going to say this because I still am having trouble wrapping my head around it. Why didn't you stay in your autobot form?"

She smiled at me, "it's too dangerous. As a human I can hide. Plus if I'm absolutely needed they won't expect the elf who appeared in the battle of Chicago to be an autobot. I will be our secret weapon."

She was right. I knew she was right. It was just hard knowing this tiny little woman could turn into one of the Autobots. It seemed impossible, but I never imagined I would meet Optimus Prime either.

"So now you guys have met," I looked at my daughter, "where the hell is this guy from?"

Lea cleared her throat, "be nice, Cade."

"He's a driver from Texas." I scoffed.

"Then why does he sound like a leprechaun?" Lea glared at me.

"Cade. Be nice. He's a kind young man." I glared back at her.

"Why are you defending him," she stood up and walked over to me, "he's a good young man, Cade. Just be nice and give him a chance."

"Did you know about this? Did you tell her that it was okay? Did you seriously let my daughter be with him? How even old is he? Why would you allow her to be with a boy? You're not her mother! What the hell is wrong with you, Lea? I trusted you!" She slapped me.

"I'm going to let that slide, Cade. They knew each other in high school. Would you rather I didn't know about it? I discussed it with her as a teenager, and I kept tabs on them. I didn't let them do anything stupid or reckless. I discussed it with them instead of not explaining to my daughter why I didn't want her to be around boys. You can't expect her to not listen to you if you don't tell her why," I pointed at her, "that wasn't your damn place, Lea! You're not her fucking mother."

Lea looked sad and hurt, "fine. Fine Cade. Next time I'll fucking but out, I won't care. I won't help. I won't fucking do shit for you anymore! Maybe I shouldn't have helped with half the shit I did. Maybe I should've just let everyone lose the damn house. Maybe I should've never fucking came into your life!"

She stormed out of the gas station slamming the door behind her. I looked at Tessa. She was glaring at me.

"You went too far, Dad. You know she was right. She did so much for us. You just hurt the only woman who was there for me. You didn't turn Optimus in because of Lea. I get that, I understand that. I respect it. Does a part of me wish that you would've turned the truck in, yes. However, I know Lea. You would've done anything for her because she has helped us keep the house, pay the bills. Made a college account for me when she didn't have to. She is family, dad. We don't do what you just did to our family. She risked everything. We wouldn't have made it out alive without her today, Dad. If it wasn't for her I would be dead, Dad. I would've done the same things you and Mom did, but I haven't and that's because of Lea. She isn't Mom, but she has fought for me, Dad. She has done what a Mom should. I am honored to be able to think of her as a mother figure, because she's done exactly that Dad. She has been a wonderful mother to me. So you better get your ass out that door and apologize. Now." Tessa turned away from me.

I looked at the door. Tessa was right. I went way too far.

Aleatha

I grit my teeth as I leaned against the side of the building. That hurt. It hurt that Cade thought so little of me. I felt a warmth in my chest. Tears slid down my cheeks.

Are you okay, Sweet spark?

I nodded even though he wasn't here.

I'm okay, Optimus. Just sad. Any signs of us being followed yet?

No. I shall be back by morning.

I sighed in relief.

See you then, Orion.

See you then, sweetspark.

I heard the door open and saw Cade in my peripheral vision. I couldn't look at him. His words hurt. Tessa may not be my child, but I have seen her grow into a wonderful young lady. I have helped raise her.

"Lea," I looked at him, "I'm sorry for what I said inside. I didn't mean it."

I looked away, "yes you did, Cade. You're so afraid of losing her that you don't care about anyone else. I get it, Cade. It's fine."

I looked out towards the setting sun. I was a stranger in this world, and now I would be wanted more now that I was no longer just an elf. I was an elf who could change into an Autobot. I was a humanoid alien and now the people I considered family were in danger because of me.

"I'm sorry." I wasn't sure if he heard me.

His arms wrapped around me, "no. I may have meant it at the moment, but what you said was the truth. You ensured she wouldn't get knocked up. Instead of a noose you trusted her. You taught her what she needed to know. You stepped into a role you didn't have to, but you did it anyway. You ensured we wouldn't lose our home. You ensured a college fund for her. You helped us keep afloat. If it wasn't for you I don't know where we would be."

I felt tears gather in my eyes, "and if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have Optimus back. I'm just sorry that having you help caused you and Tessa to be put into danger. I'm so sorry, Cade."

Sobs escaped and my face was now against his chest. I brought this to them. I put them in danger.

Sweet spark?

It was Optimus. He must've felt my emotions from our bond.

I'm okay, just do what you need to do what you set out to do. I'll see you soon, I love you, Orion.

I felt a flood of warmth from our bond. I pulled away from Cade. I met his gaze. I smiled at him. He cradled my face in one of his hands.

"You are like a sister to me, Lea. I would do anything for you. Your family, and I would do it all again. Let's go back inside and sleep. You need to rest. We all do." I nodded.

Be safe, Optimus. Please return to me in one piece.