Chapter 1: Leaving England

A/N: This is short chapter but it's just a small filler so you can get to know Mariah a bit more. 

Mariah stepped off the train onto the bustling platform. All around her was smoke and people walking far too fast. She knew she was meeting Captain Nixon; but with all the chaos, she couldn't see him.

"Ms. Compton," She turned, behind her was Captain Nixon. In his hands was a piece of cardboard that read 'Nurse Compton.'

"I see you go all out for your new arrivals," Mariah said shaking his hand.

"Only the pretty ones." Captain Nixon said taking her bags from her hands and leading her to the car.

"Have a nice trip?" Nixon asked as they drove away from the train station.

"The plane ride was a little shaky, but the train was great. Not really comfortable for sleeping though," Mariah said rubbing her neck.

"How'd your folks react when you told them you were doing this?" Nixon asked looking at Mariah.

"Just about how you'd expect them too. My mother just about hit the ceiling; she told me she was going to hide all the suitcases so I couldn't go." Mariah couldn't help but to chuckle at the memory.

"My dad was well; confused. When he served the thought of a woman coming into combat was unheard of. Mind you, it still is. Then I explained to him that I was hand picked up a colonel and a captain he was over the moon. Told me to give the boys hell and take no shit."

"Your dad served?" Nixon asked her.

"My dad was in the American Airborne and landed on Normandy Beach. He only served for eight months, though. Unfortunately, he got his leg and three fingers blown off so he had no choice but to retire. Can't really fight with missing limbs." Mariah said.

"Jeez, I bet he was really pleased about that." Nixon said.

"Him and my mom both say he was right pissed off about it. Then he met my mom and things started to get better from there." Mariah said taking a cigarette out of her pocket and lighting it.

"How did they meet?" Nixon asked.

"My mom was one of the nurses that took care of him."

"A regular war love story huh." Nixon said smiling. "So, is it just you and your parents?"

"No, I'm the youngest of seven." Mariah said, she looked over to see Captain Nixon staring at her with wide eyes. "Seven?!"

"Seven kids, yes. Now would you please pay attention to the road? I don't want to die before I go into war." Mariah said gripping onto the sides of her seat.

"Right, sorry." Nixon turned his head to face the road. "Are you the only girl?"

"I have a sister; she's a nurse as well."

"Seems like you come from a line of nurses." Nixon said.

"And army-men. All of my brothers, except for one are in some form of the army." Mariah said.

"Why not him?" Nixon asked raising his eyebrows.

"He was born blind. No use in being a solider if you can't see."

"Fair enough." The rest of the ride was quiet. Mariah was taking in the scenery and feeling the wind flow through her hair. The car came to a stop in front of a large black gate.

"Welcome to Camp Toccoa, Mariah."