Chapter 4: Currahee

The next morning Eugene and Mariah had medic training while the rest of the men we're doing regular training. In the afternoon they would merge with them. This is how it would be for the next 3 months. Except on Wednesdays. Wednesday's they would be training all day with the men.

That day was an introduction to everything they would learning; how to properly administer sulfa and morphine, how to pack wounds, how to stich, and how to wrap a wound or broken bone. Next week they would start practicing on each other.

The afternoon came painfully slow, they had a twenty-minute lunch then it was onto training with Easy. On their way to the cafeteria Mariah and Eugene overheard some of the medics talking.

"Why did they have to bring a woman in? She has no idea what she's doing. How much do you want to bet, her first day in the field she's going to get herself blown up." The men laughed.

"Assholes." Eugene said glaring at them. "I'm sorry about them."

"Eugene, you don't have to apologize, you're not the one being rude." Mariah said putting her hand on his shoulder.

Mariah and Eugene got to the cafeteria and grabbed some food. "Doc! Mariah! Over here!" They turned their heads to see Luz waving them over.

"Hey guys," Mariah said as she sat down. "How was your morning?"

"Terrible." Liebgott said. "Sobel's a dick."

"Yeah, I kind of got that when I met him." Mariah agreed.

"All of us got our weekend passes revoked for some stupid minor infractions." Liebgott said.

"How was medic training?" Luz asked the two.

"Long," Eugene started. "For the first week we're just going over what we're learning, next week we start practicing on each other." The men nodded.

As everyone was eating the door suddenly burst open; it was Captain Sobel and Lieutenant Winters. "Easy Company! I want you all in your PT gear and the bottom of Curahee in 15 minutes!" All around her the men groaned.

"We just did that." Mariah heard Bull say from the end of the table.

"Guess we're doing it again." Lipton sighed.

"Compton," Captain Sobel said as they began leaving the cafeteria.

"Yes sir?" Mariah asked, turning her head to look at him.

"Try to keep up. We wouldn't want you falling behind."

Mariah could feel the rage bubbling inside of her, she wanted to snap back but she knew it would only end up getting her reprimanded. She couldn't have that, not on her first day.

"I won't fall behind, sir!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mariah and the rest of the men were currently running up Currahee mountain. Captain Sobel was yelling questions at them and they were meant to yell back.

"WHAT DO WE RUN?"

"CURRAHEE!"

"WHAT DOES CURRAHEE MEAN?"

"WE STAND ALONE!"

"HOW FAR DOWN?"

3 MILES UP, THREE MILES DOWN!"

"AND WHAT COMPANY IS THIS?"

"EASY COMPANY!"

"WHAT DO WE DO?"

"STAND ALONE!

As soon as Captain Sobel finished a man in front of Mariah seemed to have rolled his ankle on a rock.

"DO NOT HELP THAT MAN! DO NOT STOP!" Sobel yelled as he noticed two of the men beginning to help. This man was a total dick.

Mariah noticed Malarkey grab the man's arm and begin to help him along. Mariah gently put her hand on the man's back to help guide him along.

"YOU HAVE 15 MINUTES TO GET TO THE TOP OF THIS MOUNTAIN IF YOU WANT TO SERVE IN THE PARATROOPERS!"

Her legs were killing her, everything in her being was telling her to stop, to take a break. She couldn't - she wouldn't. If she took a break, she would be letting Sobel and the other men who didn't want her here win. That was not going to happen. Mariah pushed herself, harder than she ever had. As she ran, she heard her father's voice in her head.

"Give em' hell!" She repeated those words in her all the way up to the top of the mountain. As she made her way over the crest, she saw Soble's face; it was full of anger and annoyance. When she reached the stone, she couldn't help but smile. She saw Winters smile behind Sobel's back.

"What are you smiling at?" Toye asked as she ran past.

"None of your business!"