Chapter 7: Combat Training

When they woke up Monday morning everyone in the company was told that they were to be starting hand-to-hand combat training that afternoon. Mariah was very excited; she couldn't wait to kick the boys' asses.

"I am going to wipe the floor with you guys!" Mariah said to the men as they went to breakfast.

"I've never seen someone so excited to learn how to fight." Muck said.

"Learn? I already know how to fight! I just can't wait to kick your butts."

"Oh yeah princess, who'd you fight?" Perconte asked.

"My brothers, mostly. Sometimes Rebecca and I beat up some unlucky boys in town who thought they could call us names."

"You beat up your blind brother?!" Luz yelled.

"God no, we're not animals." Mariah laughed shoving Luz.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After breakfast, Easy company made their way over to a large grass field to begin their hand-to-hand combat training.

They were given a brief but in-depth description of the moves they were learning that day. They were to flip their opponent over their back; when the other person was on the ground they would then throw a fake punch to their face.

They were then partnered up; Mariah was paired with Malarkey.

"On my count, you will begin!" The instructor yelled.

"I'll go easy on you," Malarkey said, winking at Mariah.

"Whatever." Mariah replied, rolling her eyes.

"You may begin."

Malarkey ran at Mariah. He quickly grabbed her by the torso and flung her over his back, Mariah hit the ground with a hard thud. Before she knew it Malarkey was above her and his fist was coming toward her face. His fist stopped just an inch away from her nose.

"How ya doing down there, sweetheart?" Malarkey smiled.

"Shut up and held me off the ground." Mariah said, holding her hand up for Malarkey to take. As soon as Mariah got to her feet, they were ordered to switch. It was Mariah's turn to slam Malarkey onto the ground; she couldn't wait.

As soon as the instructor said go Mariah was off. She ran at Malarkey with full speed, she grabbed him in the same spot he grabbed her, and flipped him over her back. Malarkey hit the ground, hard. Mariah then sent her fist flying forward stopping just about Malarkey's mouth.

"How are you doing down there, sweetheart?" Mariah asked, mimicking what he said to her a few minutes before.

"Marry me?" Malarkey said.

"Get up." Mariah said, rolling her eyes.

They spent the next hour continuing to practice this manoeuvre as well as a few other ones.

"I think you broke my spine." Malarkey said rubbing his back when they got back to their barrack.

"I'm pretty sure you broke my tailbone during the last flip." Mariah said back, rubbing the sore area.

"Well thank god we have the rest of the day off." Malarkey said flopping on his bed.

"Thank god indeed." Mariah said laying down.

Mariah couldn't help but close her eyes and drift off.