Chapter 2

Liv.

"Sorry for the wait." 

A polite smile fleets at the corners of his lips. "It's no worry," He says. I remind myself to feel at ease. This is nothing more than a discussion about the new intern position at a smaller company. No reason to worry, right?

I don't remember much about what happened after that. Just mouths spilling nonsense and waves crashing in my ears. No more than an oddly clean coffee table between us. The mid-day light babbles its accomplishments through the window and it feels more so like an interrogation rather than an interview. 

Questions are thrown at me like bullets. Fast. Predictable. I excuse myself to the bathroom.  Close the door. Splash water on my face. Bad idea. Water does not help with my predicament. 

I plaster on a smile and head back. He sips coffee from a mug with contentment, stature relaxed. 

"Now, we've been going at this conversation for quite a bit. We were wondering if..." He rambles on for a couple more minutes before he declares this interview finished. I scarcely remember his name after that. 

We go our separate ways and I walk on foot back to my house. It isn't far from the coffee shop we were at, about 15 minutes away. The cool breeze brushes past my cheeks with gentle knuckles and a soft embrace. The bustling atmosphere stops its irate noises at the signal of a red light and resumes its overwhelming music at the wave of a green light. 

It's quite odd. Three widely comprehensible signs dictate what happens in the world. Just simply three signs. Maybe that's all we need. Red, yellow, and green. Stop, start, and everything in between. 

+++++

A/N:

Pls vote and comment!