Chapter 46 | Present day

Liv. 

Present day. 

Nurses are screaming in my ears. Well, not my ears. Other nurses' ears. I just happen to be there, lying down immobile on a hospital bed. I'm staring at the ceiling when they leave the room. They say to just press the button on my right when I need them. I nod. Don't take my eyes off the carefully blank and bland ceiling. I asked them why there were no bumps and crevices above us and they said that it might not be good for certain patients. 

I'm trying to draw shapes on the ceiling with my finger when I hear a knock on the door. I'm confused. Sit up. My parents have already left. My heart races. Sam?

"Come in," I say hesitantly. Small. My voice is small and shaky. 

I see the bright blue eyes and the big smile and I know it's not Sam. 

It's Cole. 

And I'm happy to see him. 

I'm sorry, Cole. I didn't mean to almost forget about you. I'm sorry.

He says, "wow, you okay?" He winced. "Sorry, that's not a very good first impression."

"It's not a first impression when I've already talked with you a handful of times before." I smile even though there's a pit in my stomach. 

"True."

He glances at the plush chair across my bed and looks back up at me. "Is it okay if I sit?"

"Sure, go ahead." I grin. "How about you eat the food too. I hear it's amazing." I drawled. 

He looks at the soggy plate on my lap filled with apple mush and gray meat. 

"I think I'll have to pass."

"Good, because then I would've judged you."

We both laugh at that. He asks, how are you doing? And I say, "it's not every day you get hit by a black van." I sigh. "I'm fine. How's the project? I'm sorry I haven't asked you about it."

He slumps. "It's okay. I mean, it doesn't have your touch, right?" He jokes, "it's not every day you get hit by a black van." He blinks. "The debate team wants to know if you're coming back." He's astonished. I guess they didn't hear that I'm in the hospital. 

I sigh. "When's the final debate again?"

"End of June. Second to last day before summer break." 

I blink again. Cough. "Sorry. But I don't think I'll be able to participate in the final thing. I can help with the project though."

"Why won't you be there? Vacation?"

I shake my head. "Not even close. My mom wants to move. To Boston. End of the semester."

He says, "oh."

And I know it's final. 

He sighs. "Look, I was supposed to come in and say something. But I don't think it's worth hearing."

"What?"

He sighs again. "So," he coughs. "I like you Liv. I do. I have for a while. But since you're moving to Boston, I guess it doesn't matter."

It's like I'm drifting in the same boat. 

Same thing happening over and over again. I'm friends with someone and I date them then we break up and everything screws over. 

I shake my head, looking at my lap and the plate full of cheap food. "I'm sorry, Cole. I think you're great but..."

"But she's not dating." Someone says. I recognize the voice. I almost miss the door creaking open.

Sam's here.