Epilogue

Liv.

6 months later.

My phone rings and I'm not scared to look at it anymore. The chime makes me happy because I know I got what I wanted. Closure. 

I click the screen and it opens my email account. 

I smile when I see the name on top. 

To: Livvy38@gmail.com

From: Sam23@gmail.com

Subject: Stuff

Hey, it's been a while, and just so you know, I'm not trying to do anything this time. I swear. 

My mom got a job offer in California. I just thought you should know. 

I know you're in Boston and all, and there's a high chance you won't read this email, but I just wanted to say goodbye. 

You were right when you said we should've ended things off. I'm doing it now. 

I love you. I do, Liv. But I know that sometimes loving someone means letting them go. 

So I'm letting you go now. l'm happy that I got to know you as a friend and someone closer.

Goodbye (I'm serious, I mean it),

All the best,

Sam. 

+++++

Even when I meet up for coffee with my boyfriend and finish a stack of paperwork from my job, I think of him as not someone that I wish for, but someone I know that was the perfect first chapter of my life. 

Funny, right? Everything was just part of a big book that is who I am. 

Me. 

And now, I swear, I've gone from emails to texts. It's just so much easier. For everyone I guess.