Chapter 22 | 7 years ago

Sam.

Still 7-8 years ago. 

I'm sorry.

I'm sorry about your eye. 

I stared at my feet. 

I looked up. 

Liv smiled. 

I thought it was the prettiest smile I'd ever seen. 

Liv asked, 

Can you get me some ice cream?

And I smiled too. 

+++++

The day after I kicked the ball at her face I walked up to her. Apologized. She said she was fine, but she wanted ice cream, so that's what we got. It was almost June, with thick, green leaves covering branches. The sidewalks were grey and the sun hid behind the clouds like it was playing hide and seek. 

Peekaboo. 

We walked to the ice cream shop. It was only about a block away and kids were already piling up and demanding ice cream. One was crying because she didn't have enough money. A boy was staring at her. Walked up to her and handed a ten-dollar bill. She was so happy. 

We lined up. It was so long that the crowd was pushed outside. Nearly ten minutes later we were inside the shop and Liv was deciding what to get. 

She walked in a circle. She asked me, and I answered everything perfectly. 

Chocolate or vanilla?

Chocolate. 

Mint chocolate or mango?

Mint.

Cookies and cream or strawberry?

C&C, who am I, a person with less tastebuds? 

She asked, "Chocolate, mint chocolate, or cookies and cream. Pick two."

"Wait, you're getting two?"

She looked at me. "'Course I am. Never mind, maybe I should get three..."

She ended up getting all three. Well, maybe not all

"Can I have a chocolate cone, please? One scoop of Chocolate, one scoop of Mango, and the last scoop of Cookies & Cream. Actually, I change my mind. Make that a regular cone. Can I also have a chocolate drizzle, sprinkles and whipped cream? Thank you." She looked at me. 

"Uh, I'll just have a cone with Mint chocolate..."

+++++

We sat on a bench outside the creamery. The sun was staring us in the face. 

Burning our eyes out. 

Liv's skin was turning pink. 

We both stood up. Walked to a nearby tree to keep our skin alive and our ice cream frozen. 

"Why did you ask for my opinion if you were going to get something else?"I asked. 

"Because I can't trust your judgement fully. Plus I wanted mango."

"Gee, thanks."

We sat in silence. I glanced back at her ice cream and it had somehow disappeared. 

She looked at me. "What?"

"You're done already? Ten dollars," I mourned, "wasted in a couple of minutes."

Her ears turned red. "It's not me. Maybe you're really slow."

"It's been three minutes."

I laughed when I saw her face. She laughed too. 

I turned away. Looked at her again. 

Liv was pretty. She had those types of eyes that were really deep. Very nice-looking. Her hair was slightly wavy and she was wearing a flowy, pink dress. 

"I'm sorry about your eye." I grinned. 

She said, "I'm sorry I 'wasted your ten dollars'." Eyes glinted. The tips of her lips tilted up. 

"It's okay. At least I wasted it for a good cause."

"And what good cause is that?" She asked, curiously. 

I shrugged. 

"I wasted it on a pretty girl. What's wrong about that?"