Chapter 28 | 1 year ago

1 year ago.

We officially set up our spot at school. 

There was a sad, secluded corner completely engraved in pavement, a lone, depressing bench fixed in the center for us to sit on. 

Sometimes we bought snacks in the shopping area next to the school and came back to the Corner. 

It wasn't the ice cream shop. 

It was a placeholder. 

It was a temporary replacement,

because the ice cream shop wasn't replaceable. 

It was a pile of rubble now. Completely excavated and destroyed. Demolished for land development. The workers had already started to line blocks and pavement onto the dirt. 

The tree was gone too. 

Liv was a little bit less sad too.

It had been a year. She was getting happier. She smiles now. She was almost happy. She smiled with her eyes, not just her mouth. 

Less sad. We were all just a bit less sad. 

I'm sorry, I couldn't put my thoughts into words. 

They were just a bundled mess. 

+++++

People passed by in school with peculiar looks to Liv. She had regained a slight bounce in her step, acted a bit less tired. A bit less sad. 

I realized about six months ago that everyone liked her. They smiled at her day-to-day and frowned when she stared at the floor. They looked at me as if I was a bug. 

I was confused. I thought our school was the hospitable type. 

I guessed not.