Chapter 25 | 2 years ago

Sam. 

2 years ago.

We walked to the ice cream shop half expecting it to be open. The trees were barren with frail arms drooping to the ground. The grass was covered in a fine layer of frost. 

A sign hung heavy on behind the glass. Red letters stared back,

"We are sorry, but we will be closing permanently effective as of this week Thursday."

Liv started to cry. 

"Due to a lack of incoming customers, this ice cream stall will be closed. This land will be used as a development site."

She turned to me and collapsed onto my chest. I hesitantly wrapped my arms around her back. I distinctly felt the tears drop onto my shirt. 

I patted her back. "It's okay, we can find a different place."

"I-it's n-not a-about t-that." She sniffled. "T-this w-was t-the p-place a-and n-now i-it's g-gone."

"We can make a new place. It's not about the location, it's about us." I smiled and a rock fell heavy on my heart. It was going to be completely demolished, collapsed by a wrecking ball and rebuilt into an apartment. 

"U-uh h-huh." She couldn't stop crying. 

I tried to smile again but it fell as soon as it started. "I guess we can't get pig skin ice cream anymore." I tried to tease but it only made her feel worse. 

She started to walk to the tree and there was no longer shade from the sun. It was dead. 

Dead. 

Deserted. 

Just like this shop. 

I went home,

tears tickled the ends of my eyes. 

And I cried too. 

Cried. 

Couldn't stop crying. 

Because everything that we had between us?

It was all in this shop. 

And now it was gone.