two

After dinner wrapped up and the dishes were cleared away, everyone moved inside to the parlor for drinks and dessert. Karina tried not to follow Bob around like a lost puppy even if he was the only friendly face she knew aside from EJ. Reuben, of course, had been kind. But she wanted to avoid another run in with Kayla. In hindsight she probably shouldn’t have been so abrasive. But if EJ wasn’t going to stick up for herself, Karina would stick up for the both of them. 

She found herself standing a bit awkwardly off to the side, watching and listening to the other guests. Many of them spoke about the tourist season. Some, mostly the men, discussed golf strategy. While others either complimented or criticized the Seresin’s estate. All small talk. No thoughts of actual importance among any of them.

“You look like a regular fish out of water.” Jacob slid up beside her and pressed a glass of wine into her hand. “Thought you could use a sangria.”

“Oh. Thank you.” She accepted the glass and swirled the red liquid.  “Am I that obvious?”

“I can see you’re trying to hide it which makes you stick out even more.”

“And what would you suggest I do?”

“Try not to pick a fight with the other girls for starters.”

“You… heard about that.” Karina sighed, cheeks heating from embarrassment. Although a fight with her words was better than a fight with her hands. 

“Relax. I think it’s about time someone showed Kayla Fitch what for.” He sized her up, “I’d bet on you to take her out.” 

“Thank you. I think.” 

“Stick with me, sweetheart. Together we can make it through this dumpster fire of a wedding.”

“You’re not happy for your brother?” 

“Marrying a girl like EJ is probably the smartest thing he’s ever done. EJ on the other hand… she deserves better.” 

Karina studied his face for a moment. He had his gaze fixated on EJ as she followed Jasper around the room, smiling brightly and thanking guests for coming. She hummed, nodding slowly. It seemed one Jacob Seresin had a crush on his brother’s fiance. But EJ only had eyes for Jasper. She didn't know enough about Jasper to know if Jacob was right. Of course, it seemed he was telling the truth. Or at least believed that he was. 

Sighing softly, she looked down at the glass in her hand. She didn’t like wine. It made her sleepy and muddled her senses. Which was probably the point. 

As the evening wore down, Jake drifted from her side and Karina found herself alone again. She didn’t mind. With no one paying attention to her, she took the opportunity to look around the parlor and connected drawing rooms where guests mingled. She listened to idle gossip, learning more about the Seresin family and what their circle seemed to think of EJ. Most found her charming but were wary of her social status. She learned the Seresins made their fortune on imports and exports, affording them the entirety of the docks and most of the town. 

“Impressive, is it not?” A warm voice asked. 

She had stopped her amble through the drawing rooms to look at a map of the Seresin’s impressive estate.

“Does anyone really need this much land? Karina asked, turning to see an older gentleman with a friendly demeanor at her side, “Looks like most of it goes unused.”

“I suppose for some it’s less about what they have and more about what everyone else doesn’t.”

“I guess you’re right. I’m Karina, by the way.”