three

“So the bride - Eleanor Floyd - vanished the morning of her wedding?” Agent Waterson asked, brow pinched in skepticism.

“That’s right.” Karina nodded, “We searched everywhere.”

“Seems like a lot of the guests preferred it that way.”

“Yeah, well… I guess that’s rich assholes for you.”

A sharp knock cut off Agent Waterson’s next question and with a sigh, she got up and opened the door. Another agent handed her a folded sweatshirt and pair of sweatpants and asked if she wanted anything from the cafe.

“Put these on.” Waterson tossed the clothes to Karina. “I’ll take a dirty chai latte. And a green tea for my friend here.” 

“How do you know I like green tea?” Karina asked, shrugging on the sweater and already feeling warmer. 

“You’re from LA. Everyone in LA drinks green tea.”

Karina snorted and shook her head, “I would have gotten a vanilla chai or an espresso.”

Agent Waterson took out her phone and typed out a quick text, then tucked the device back into the inside pocket of her blazer. 

“Back to business. What makes Miss Floyd’s disappearance different than a case of cold feet? Brides - and grooms - run off on their wedding days all the time.”

“I know EJ. This wasn’t cold feet.”

“What was it then?”

-&-

As the minutes stretched into hours, guests shifted in their chairs, whispering about what could have become of the missing bride. Karina checked her phone. The ceremony should have commenced over an hour ago. But no one made a move to go look in on EJ. Not Jasper. Not Kayla. Not even Uncle Howard or Bob. Although, she supposed, the latter were not quite welcome in the Seresin’s home. 

“I should go check on her.” Karina said, “See if she’s okay.”

Bob nodded and squeezed her thigh before she left. A sign of good faith. A wish for luck. Karina tried to ignore the warmth spreading through her at his touch and hurried out of the ballroom. 

The hallway off to the side of the ballroom was eerily quiet. Only a few wall sconces offered flickering light. A light bulb somewhere buzzed. Using her phone’s flashlight for more visibility, Karina looked around for a bridal suite or dressing room where EJ would have gotten ready. 

She tried calling. But like her, EJ was notorious for leaving her phone on silent. 

Your call has been forwarded to an automated voice messaging system…

Groaning in frustration, Karina ended the call each time before she could hear EJ’s bubbly voice saying she hadn’t checked her voice mail since 2005 and to send a text if it was important. She took a deep breath. And then another. No use panicking in the maze-like halls of Seresin Manor. She would only end up more lost. 

Towards the end of the dimly lit hall she found a door with a light coming through the bottom. That had to be the dressing room. 

“EJ?” Karina called, knocking on the door. No response. She tired the handle. Locked. “Eeej, come on. Open up.”