eight

"So how did you end up on a houseboat?" Karina asked on the ride back to the marina. They stopped by the bed and breakfast first so she could pack her things and check out, and then the grocery store so Bob could pick up something for his dinner.

"It was a fishing boat at first. Belonged to my granddad." Bob explained, "When he passed he left it to me. It was in pretty rough shape so my dad and I made a project out of fixing her up. Living on the water is less expensive than renting an apartment and if the weather's bad I just stay at my dad's."

"Do you like living on the water?"

"It's nice. Took a little getting used to and it gets chilly in the winter, but the waves put me right to sleep. Honestly it's kind of like an RV just in the ocean. But if you hate it, I'm sure you could stay with my dad."

"I didn't want to bother Uncle Howard with EJ missing. He has enough to worry about."

"Yeah... he's taking it pretty hard. I really hope EJ's alright, wherever she is." Bob said quietly. He found an open spot in the marina lot and parked. "He was never really the same after our mom died. I think losing EJ for real might kill him."

He fidgeted with his keys and Karina reached over, putting a hand over his, "We'll find her. I'm sure there will be something at the bank tomorrow."

"I really hope you're right, Karina."

-&-

From the outside, Bob's boat looked like an ordinary white and blue fishing vessel. He had a table and chairs set up on the deck, as well as a lounge chair he said was his favorite spot to sit and read. Inside the hold was laid out similarly to an RV just like he said. There was a living area complete with a couch, coffee table, and a TV mounted to the wall. Shelves under the TV were lined with books, records, and a handful of video games. A glass case on top of one shelf displayed the colosseum lego set they'd built together one Valentine's day when she was still in college.

Beyond the living room was a small kitchen, dining room, and half bath. And in the very back of the cabin was a cozy bedroom and ensuite bathroom.

"You take the bed." Bob insisted, setting her suitcase just inside the bedroom door.

"Bobby, no. I'm not taking your bed. The couch will be fine."

"We'll trade off then. You can take the couch tonight and the bed tomorrow."

Karina considered his offer. Part of her wanted to ask if they couldn't both take the bed. But realistically they weren't there yet. They had only just shared their first kiss. They hadn't even gone on a proper date yet.

"Fine." She agreed. She was too tired to argue about sleeping arrangements, anyway.

-&-

The couch was comfortable enough. The sheets were soft and the blankets warm. But Karina couldn't shut her brain off. She tossed and turned for what felt like hours, thinking of EJ and the Seresins and the Fitches and Chief Simpson.

John Seresin was obviously keeping Simpson from investigating. Maybe Jonas had something to do with it and that was why he trashed his phone. What was on the coded paper? Who was M. M.?

And what was in EJ's bank box?

Finally, she got up for a glass of water. She stumbled around a bit in the dark with the waves gently rocking the boat. Maybe she should have asked Uncle Howard if he had room.

She stood over the kitchen sink, glass in hand and took a few deep breaths.

The bedroom door creaked open and Bob appeared looking adorably disheveled and sleepy.