Chapter Nine

Okay, since I know it's torturing you, I shall update, my lovely readers. Rick Riordan owns PJO/HOO.

Chapter Nine: Battle of the Brains B00K_ADDICT05

Point of View: Third Person

"Riddles." Athena smirks.

"Fun." Percy says simply.

She starts to turn pink at his casual acceptance of the challenge. "We shall do this in the dining pavilion." Athena huffs.

It takes ten minutes for everyone to file in and Athena and Percy stand in the center of it. Percy leans on his sword and Athena has a hand on her hip. 

"You are the challenger, so you begin." Percy tells her.

She grins and clears her throat. "I have seas with no water, coasts with no sand, towns without people, mountains without land. What am I?"

"A map." Percy rolls his eyes. 

"Correct." Athena grumbles.

"My turn." He says and then speaks, "Alive without breath, As cold as death; Never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking." 

It takes a couple minutes as she mouths the words. "Fish." She answers.

"Well done." Percy nods. 

Athena doesn't pause and does the next riddle. "I'm rarely touched, but often held. If you have wit, you'll use me well." 

"My tongue." Percy chuckles.

"Yes." Athena says grudgingly.

"This thing all things devours; Birds, beasts, trees, flowers; Gnaws iron, bites steel; Grinds hard stones to meal; Slays kings, ruins towns, and beats mountains down." Percy says and it's like his voice is timeless.

"Time." Athena answers after a few minutes.

"Very good." Percy compliments.

"Often will I spin a tale, never will I charge a fee. I'll amuse you an entire eve, but, alas, you won't remember me." Athena smirks.

"A dream." Percy replies.

Athena huffs. "Your turn."

"It cannot be seen, cannot be felt, cannot be heard, cannot be smelt. It lies behind stars and under hills, And empty holes it fills. It comes out first and follows after, Ends life, kills laughter." Percy says coldly.

Athena takes a small while, then it clicks. "The dark."

"Yes." Percy nods.

"What has roots as nobody sees, Is taller than than trees, Up, up it goes, And yet never grows?" Athena asks.

"A mountain." Percy answers easily.

"Go on." Athena crosses her arms.

"Voiceless it cries, Wingless flutters, Toothless bites, Mouthless mutters." Percy speaks his next riddle.

"The wind." Athena says after mouthing the lines several times.

"Indeed it is the wind." Percy agrees. 

"What asks, but never answers?" Athena presses on.

Percy snorts. "An owl."

She seethes. "Yes, my sacred animal."

"You know, I haven't once provoked you, but you are acting like a bear poked consistently with a stick. It is quite unbecoming of a goddess." Percy comments.