Chapter 32🔞

"What?" Freen asked of her again. Her demeanor was indication enough to let her in on the context. She just wanted her to get it over with now.

"Uh, maybe you wanna sit down?" Becky motioned towards her desk chair, or even the bed. Freen's features darkened as she stood there defiantly and raised an eyebrow. "Okay, okay... No sitting. That's fine."

"Becky... What's going on?" Freen urged her to cut the dramatic setup and get to the point.

"Um..." Becky swallowed uneasily. "We might be moving a little further away than I anticipated..."

"Where..." Freen asked hesitantly, uncertain that she even wanted to find out. Becky was fidgeting and avoiding eye contact, and Freen just wanted her to come right out with it. "Becky? Where?"

"Cambodia?" she raised her voice an octave and peeked at Freen apologetically.

"What? That's ridiculous, how do you even know that-" Freen began to immediately discredit this new piece of information. She was rejecting it. That wasn't happening.

"I heard my dad talking to your dad about it..." Becky countered. There was a very strong possibility. It was almost a certainty.

"Okay, so he's moving... That doesn't mean that you're moving out there..." Freen disassociated Becky from the situation and plucked her from the idea in her mind. It was alarming to Becky.

"Freen, they were discussing houses and living conditions... He even talked about me and said that he wouldn't feel bad about taking me away from Chidlom, I know we are. It's better to just accept it now and see it the way it is instead of being in denial about it," Becky advised her to prevent her from deluding herself.

"Fuck," Freen forced herself to accept their predicament and closed her eyes. One thing after another just kept stacking up. Every time things seemed like they were looking up, another obstacle was waiting for her to tackle. The odds were definitely against her.

"Don't be mad, please," Becky pleaded tentatively and held her hands out to gauge Freen's reaction. Quietness was so misleading.

"I'm not," Freen shook her head. It would be dumb to place any blame on Becky for what was undoubtedly William's fault. And she didn't feel comfortable enough in her emotions at the moment to discuss them. She was hurt and jaded and annoyed with just about everything regarding it. But she was tired of being emotional. She'd had enough of that for the day.

"Are you sure?" Becky tried to clarify, because she was being distant again.

"It's not your fault, why would I be mad at you?" Freen ruffled her hair and let out a great sigh.

"I don't know, but could you not treat me like you're mad? Because you do that when you're upset. I want to talk to you," Becky posed a reasonable consideration.

"I won't," Freen assured her and pitched forward to grace her with a quick peck on the lips to prove her point. "I'll be right back."

"Wait, are you going to talk to them about it?" Becky grabbed her arm frantically.

"No," Freen slid out of her hold.

"Oh," she breathed. "Where are you going?"

"To get the snacks," Freen answered just before passing through the door. Becky saw no reason in staying there and waiting for her somber return, so she merely followed behind her. Freen was on a mission now.

Freen made more noise going down the stairs than Becky did. She always jogged down them quickly whereas Becky scaled them step by step, just to prevent a fall. Her timid footsteps probably hadn't tipped off Jason nor William. Freen's did. They both noticed the way those hushed voices ceased completely, and they also gathered that the information Becky had picked up was premature. It was obvious that they didn't want them to know of it yet. It was a horrible note for Freen to pick up on, because it only confirmed what she said.