Chapter 1 || Zaiden

I slammed my fists and stood up abruptly.

"Fuck you mean we lost the ring?!" I snapped angrily. Wayne, who sat in front of me, cowered with fear.

"Sir we did everything-" I cut him off

"Everything?" I scoff, "I assigned 12 security guards just to guard the building." Wayne understood the gravity of the situation and remained silent. Smart move.

I paced around the room until my thoughts began to settle. I sighed and calmed down a bit. 

"Go. Just go. I don't want to see you right now."

He hesitated at first but left the room.

Finally, I have time to myself. Lately I have been stressing a lot. I haven't even had time to breathe. Its as if-

"Son."

I looked at my office door to see my father standing. I nod at him, gesturing him to sit down. I take a seat too.

"Something wrong?" He asks, probably spotting stress and tiredness on my face.

"No.. its just work," I sigh "Its a bit draining right now"

He nods, understanding me. "Well, I have been wanting to discuss something with you for a long time. If you are free right now, I would want to talk about it"

I nodded, "Is something wrong? What is it that you want to discuss?"

"You know Mr. Vasily right? Recently, we have been talking and we both thought it was a good idea to join our companies. But in order to do that you need to marry his daughter-"

"Marry?!" I ask, bewildered. When was this discussed? And why was I not asked?

"Son I understand what you are feeling but-"

I scoff. "Understand? I don't think so. Don't you think it was important to ask me? You've already arranged the wedding without even asking me how I feel about it?"

My father looked defeated. "It's for our company. This needs to be done."

"We have what we need dad. We don't need more."

He gave me a look that said it all. You have to marry her, there is no other option.

I leave the office, thoughts buzzing in my head. I get into my Rolls Royce. I drive to a café nearby. A café I have always loved. Not for the food, but for how it was so under the radar. It was never crowded. I pulled up in front of the café. I enter the café. The smell of fresh cakes and bakery hits my nose. Disgusting. I hate desserts.

"The usual. A black coffee please" I order. As I turn to leave, I bump into someone. Ugh. Wonderful.

"Oh shit- I'm sorry" a girl like voice mumbles. I glare at her. Her eyes are somewhere on my shirt... My shirt? I look at my shirt. It's drenched in coffee. I groan. She picks up a napkin from nearby and tries to clean the stain frantically.

Brown hair, slender wrists, plump lips. Sun dipped hazel eyes. 

Fuck. What am I thinking?

"I'm so sorry... Can- Can I somehow pay for the damage I've caused?" I could see the guilt in her eyes. To me, it was a mere shirt. I could buy the whole brand if I wanted to. 

"No. Its fine. Its just a shirt. Worry about your own dress." I pointed at her pink floral dress, which now had a coffee stain too. She looked at it sighed.

"Please I insist. Let me repay you."

Ugh. Can't I have one evening to myself without any chaos. 

"Just let me be. That will be the greatest way you can repay me."

"I cannot do that.. Please.. I'll feel guilty if I don't"

I sigh. 

"Let me buy you a coffee, a cake pop, a cheesecake. Whatever. Just let me go."

"Oh come on-"

"Dahlia?" A man keeps his hand on her shoulder. He looked old. He looked.. familiar. 

"Dad?" She spoke. This man.. he was familiar. I just can't remember who.

"Zaiden?" The man addressed me. 

It was Mr. Vasily. Which meant...

"Its good to see you."

I nod.

"Good to see you too Mr. Vasily"

"Oh just call me Richard." He chuckled.

Dahlia Vasily. So she is the one I'm supposed to marry. Great. She is annoying me already, and I don't even think she knows what is supposed to happen.

Can't there be another way to merge the company? Without interference between my love life? 

Love life. pfft. Sounds lame. Love does not exist.

If love truly existed, it wouldn't leave behind shattered hearts and broken dreams.