Restiance

Aang and Rai go through a few tunnels before they're left in a comfortable room above ground that overlooks the sea.

Rai goes over to the window and opens it before she begins  to take off her royal garments.

"So you're the princess?" Rai sighs still looking out the window.

"Depends on who you ask" Rai says.

"What do you mean?" Rai turns to the avatar and sighs.

"My father ...he died in the Seige of Ba Sing Se. For 600 days they tried to enter the city. While my great grandfather was still alive things were better. But now with Ozai?" Rai shakes her head.

"He's the fire lord" Aang says. Rai nods and he says "I don't understand"

Rai sighs and she turns back towards the window.

"I wasn't born a fire bender. My father fell in love with the earth princess an ethereal and mysterious woman. I can't...I can't really remember her. But I have this" Rai torches her pennant.

Rai pulls it so it's in front of her and touches the engravings.

Rai sighs and she says "three years ago my cousin was banished and my grandfather Iroh went with him. Now it's just myself Ozai and Azula...I found peace in Rokus temple.."

"Did you live there?" Rai doesn't answer.

"Why?" Rai looks down. "He wanted to kill me ...the only reason he didn't was because of my abilities ..."

"What kind of abilities?" Aang asks.

Rai hesitates. She backs away from him and wraps her new cloak around herself. "Please" Rai looks at him her eyes widen one is gold and the other is a pale green. "I...I knew when you came back" Rai whispers  in a shaking voice.

"I didn't ...it wasn't ..."

her hand goes to the back of her neck and she sighs her hand going into a fist. "You see when you returned for those attuned to...the spirit world it sets off a chain reaction. The totems in the temple could tell the sages you're back but I could see you...I could..." Rai shakes her head.

"I take it you were not forthcoming with what you knew"

Rai smiles.

"I'm an outcast not only do I not have fire bending but I can't wield a weapon and my earth bending is..." Rai struggles to find a word. "You're an earth-bender?" 

Rai tilts her head and nods. "I also know where your friends are. You...you were in the forest of Habai ...friendly spirit but very sensitive kind of alike a red panda ...did you know they stand up on their hind legs when they perceive a threat?"

"No I didn't know that...wait how did you know about my friends?"

"I told you I have a connection with the spiritual realm" Rai tells Aang.

"You can go there?" Aang asks.

"Only in my dreams .." Rais eyes go distant and Aang says "who were those people you know?"

"The resistance. We are largely peaceful and mostly stay out of political affairs. All tradesmen and woman and fisher men and woman. Some are servants in the palace others help care for the animals in the stables. The entire fire nation is not ...the same" Aang nods and his eyes are shining.

"Azulon had a sister that left the fire nation to learn the ways of the air nomads. Before that for years our peoples were close ..." Rai hesitates.

"What is it?" Aang asks and Rai looks at him. "There are a few people who managed to ...escape your temples" Aang's eyes widen.

"It's not many and ...I..." Rai swallows. "Come with me" she says taking his hand and leading him through several winding hallways and up some stairs. She knocks on the door a few times before opening it and she rushes over and kneels next to the older man.

"Akito I have someone for you to meet" Rai says to an elderly man who is sitting alone on a mat the window is open and a brisk breeze comes through it.

"Aang?" The elderly man says. Aang's eyes widen and he rushes over to him.

"Akito?" Aang says taking his hands. He notices that the man's face is badly burnt and his eyes are glazed. "Akito was badly hurt in the...the attack-..

The door of the room opens and a man enters and he says

"princess you must return now!"

"Chai?" Rai says to the man as he comes over and takes her by the hand

"Geri will get you to the market in his wagon- ..."

Rai is released and he says "please princess Admiral Zhao is ok his way to collect you"

Rai's eyes widen and Chai takes her hand and he begins to pull her out of the hide out and Rai quickly gathers her travel cloak and her knapsack.

"Hurry princess!" Rai follows him back up the stairs and she turns to him "keep him safe" Rai says pulling the older man into a hug.

"By Agni's light" he says bowing before Rai begins to run towards the forest. She stops when she hears a voice she never dreamed of hearing again

"Rai?" Rai turns and her eyes widen when she sees her cousin rushing over to her. "Rai...what are you doing here?"

Rai stiffens and she glances around .. "cousin?" Rai whispers "aren't you happy to see me?" Zuko asks.

"Of course I am.." Rai looks around her golden eye flickering around looking for guards.

"Why aren't you at the palace where it's safe? The entire temple will come down and-..."

"it won't" Rai tells him. Zuko's eyes widen and he says "you live here?!"

"Nephew what are- ..." Rais eyes widen when she sees her grandfather. Rai bows automatically but she stiffens when she feels two arms around her.

"You must come with us...it is no longer safe here for you." Rai hesitates before she looks back at the silent resistance. The leader gives her a slight nod and then Rai nods once before following her cousin and Grandfather towards the small row boat. Rai is covered by a tarp while they hurriedly sail back towards their steamer ship.