7 | pt. 3 : the day that was

Y/n grabbed a mask that was displayed in the center of the middle shelf, surrounded by small figures of herself. She inspected it, eye twitching as she searched her mind. "Harold.."

"This was never about Vanya," Allison announced in an epiphany, her expression worrisome. "..This was about us."

Then, something collided with the hardwood-floor of the attic. 

The three jolted in surprise, turning their heads instantly to the sound. Five had collapsed to the ground, groaning in pain, face twisted in agony.

"Five?!" The girl cried out, immediately rushing to him.

Y/n's darted around frantically when Allison joined by her side in distress, examining the boy. "Wh-.. Blood?" The woman partially lifted up articles of his clothing to reveal a recent wound.

"Jesus, Five." Diego uttered, his tone becoming serious. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"..You have to keep going," the boy whispered through the discomfort. "So.. Close." His movements slowed down, words vanishing as his eyelids closed.

"Five?" The girl called out quietly. When he wouldn't react to her shaking his shoulders, she became hysteric, clinging onto his arm in desperation. "Five! Please, wake up!"

☂ ☂ ☂

Blinking away what was left of her tears, Y/n had to stop crying. She'd been sobbing all night, eyes puffy and cheeks red. She must've looked pathetic. She was crying as they brought Five back to the Academy, she was crying when Grace was attending to his wounds; she was crying when Diego and Allison were observing them, talking about Vanya from the entrance of his room; she was still crying, even after everyone had left.

Now, she patiently sat alone in a seat beside him with her knees to her chest, eyes twinkling with tears in the dark. She sniffled, rocking herself back and forth. Everything was silent, the only exception being the stable breathing of the unconscious boy. 

Sighing shakily, the girl gazed at the only light source to the room - the window. Outside, the moon radiated an eerie brilliance. It created a sense of peace, but reminded her of what was to come.

"End of the world, huh?.." Y/n muttered quietly, her thoughts a tangled mess.

What would happen if the world did end? Would Five save her? Or.. How about the Commission. They claimed she was important, so would they save her instead? Why did they even want her, anyway? She was nothing significant compared to literal time and space.

"You know, you could just take a picture instead of staring, N/n."

Her face lit up as she sunk back into reality, focusing her eyes on the boy ahead of her. She exhaled, dropping her head down into her hands, laughing dryly. "You know, you could tell us if you were literally about to die, too. That would've been nice."

Five cautiously sat himself up, grunting as he adjusted himself. He pat the empty side of the bed, silently inviting the girl to sit. "It was irrelevant."

She walked over, taking off her blazer before carefully laying beside him. "Everything but the apocalypse is irrelevant to you. You should value your life more."

Leaning against the headboard, he shrugged. "What life is there to value when we're all dead?" He glanced shifted down to her. "When you're dead?"

Frowning, Y/n moved to lay her head in Five's lap, seeking comfort in his presence. "You worry too much about me."

"Well, that's because I.." the boy trailed off, stroking through her hair gently as he struggled to find the right words, "I just care, okay? I spent eighteen years alone, far from home. I said it before, but I'll say it again. I really missed you. And now that you're here with me, I can't let you go."