9 | pt. 1 : changes

They had all lingered around Allison in shock, still unable to comprehend what had occurred. However, they immediately rushed her into the car when Luther noticed a faint pulse in her wrist, which was enough to fill everyone with enough hope. Diego carelessly ran red lights on the way back in record time as Allison was unresponsive, her breathing ceasing by the crucial minutes they lost to late-night traffic.

Figuring that checking her into a hospital, let alone driving there, would take far too long, their best chance at saving her would be back at the Academy, where they were now.

The wounded woman laid on an operation table, the Hargreeves family surrounding her as their mother desperately attempted to assess her deteriorating condition.

"She's suffered a severe laceration to her larynx," Grace announced in a haste, attending to her daughter, "One of you will need to give blood."

The group all simultaneously offered.

"I'm doing it," Luther affirmed, last.

"I'm afraid that's not possible, dear boy," Pogo denied him as politely as possible, "Your blood is more compatible with mine."

The man turned around, staring at the chimpanzee in disbelief. The girl would have laughed if not the severity of the situation.

"Hey, don't sweat it," Klaus comforted Luther in urgency, "I- I got this, big guy." He moved around to the other side where Grace was positioned, motioning his arm out. "I love needles."

Pogo spoke up again, unsure of how express his next sentence. "Master Klaus, your blood is.. How shall I say this? Too polluted."

"Move," Diego asserted with confidence, taking the place of Klaus before Y/n or Five could, "I'll do it."

With bloodied hands, their mother unwrapped the plastic from the thin needle, preparing it in front of her.

Not even a second later, the moment Diego laid eyes on the instrument, a strange noise sounded from his throat before he dropped to the ground, fainting at the sight.

"Oh, shit!" Y/n called out, shifting around the table to see him passed out on the floor. "Diego?"

The elderly chimpanzee merely nodded at Grace. "Stick him."

☂ ☂ ☂

Grace managed to stabilise Allison after a long restless night, much to everyone's collective relief. Although Diego had pulled the odd involuntary stunt, they still turned to him in appreciation — even Luther was thankful, giving the dazed man a pat on the shoulder in gratitude.

Now early morning, Klaus, Five, Y/n, and Diego were all situated in the Academy's extravagant living room as Luther requested time alone with Allison.

"The bastard that nearly killed our sister's still out there, with Vanya. We need to go after her."

Five paced around impatiently, still limping from his recent injury. "Vanya is not important."

"How could you say that?" Y/n asked him, her voice washed over with slight hurt for their sister. "Who knows what that freak Jenkins guy could've done to her."

Diego nodded, standing beside the girl who had her arms crossed over her chest. "A little heartless even for you, Five," he agreed.

The boy's expression hardened in annoyance as he began explaining. "I'm not saying I don't care about her, but if the apocalypse happens today, she dies along with the other seven billion of us. Harold Jenkins is our first priority."

Y/n glanced at Five, who gave an awkward tight-lipped half-smile, before answering. "Okay, then. Let's get this guy before he can hurt anyone else."

"I'm in," Diego acknowledged the idea, "Let's go."