4 | pt. 2 : man on the moon

"Let's split up."

"Wow. Good thinking."

Diego's and Luther's voices echoed throughout the entrance of the Argyle Public Library.

The men had decided to find both Y/n and Five, in need to explain to them about Grace's sudden death and the uncalled shootout they participated in yesterday evening.

They separated, though both met up in a section a few flights up.

"Anything?" Luther asked Diego, who was leaning over the railing, overlooking the reception below.

"..No." he muttered.

Luther sighed and paced around, turning his head to examine the rooms around them.

"You wanna know why I left?" Diego continued, suddenly.

"What?" Luther questioned in confusion, walking up to his brother, "What are you talking about?"

"Why I left the academy." he confirmed, revolving around to face the man in the coat.

"Yeah, 'cause you couldn't handle me being Number One." Luther stated as if it were obvious.

"No. Because that's what you do when you're seventeen," Diego explained, "Move out, become your own person, grow up."

"Oh, yeah," the man in the coat interrupted, "You're a real grown-up."

"At least I make my own decisions," Diego retorted, "You've never had to hold down a job.. Pay bills.. You ever even been with a girl?"

"I.." he awkwardly responded, clearing his throat, "I.. don't know what you're talking about."

His brother let out a laugh.

"Look, you wanna blame me, blame us.. For leaving.. That's okay," Diego said, shrugging his right shoulder at him, "But maybe you're asking yourself the wrong question. Maybe it's not about why we left. Maybe it's about why you stayed."

Luther frowned angrily at him, though kept calm.

"I stayed because the world needed me." the man in the coat countered.

"You stayed because you couldn't let go of the way things used to be" Diego argued, "The academy. Dad.. With Allison."

"Well.. Y/n stayed. And, I mean, she's the same age as us." Luther added.

"Don't talk about her like that," Diego spat, "And you know damn well.. That it was completely your fault."

☂ ☂

Thirteen years ago:

Rushing a limp girl into a small, medical wing inside of the mansion, Grace then gently placed her down on the white bed.

Reginald hastily strode in, peering over at her bloodied figure.

"She's losing too much blood, Sir," Grace explained, worrying over the girl as she attached wires to her, "She's not going to make it."

Allison, Vanya, Ben, Luther, Diego and Klaus all stood outside of the room, shifting around in anxiety and slight nausea.

Hargreeves inhaled sharply, adjusting his monocle.

"Number One!" their father commanded, almost screaming out his words, "I require your assistance, immediately!"

Hearing his name being called, he sprung in, barreling through the doors as the children behind him grew more and more nervous.

"Yes, Dad?" the young boy asked.

"Give me the syringe over there," the man ordered sternly, pointing at a metal table to his right, "Now!"