The Inheritance

"He left everything to them?" A lady in her early forties screeched. Skye Hawthorne. She was the mother of the four grandsons, one of the two daughters Tobias Hawthorne had. I twisted in my seat to get a good look at her.

Sitting from across the hall, there she was. And she looked like she could kill somebody. I gulped. Now the fun begins, I thought.

"Who the hell are they?" The second daughter. I turned around to face Zara Hawthorne and saw a man next to her. Most likely her husband.

"There must be some mistake." Grayson Hawthorne's voice froze me to my seat. His tone made it seem like he was used to dealing with mistakes.

"He's right," Avery whispered next to me. "There must be a mistake." Her last words came out louder, and people turned to look at us. I wasn't normally one who squirmed under the spotlight, yet that's what I found myself doing.

"Avery," Libby hissed. She reached over me and smacked my younger sister's hand. Her message was clear: shut up.

"You see?" Skye latched on to what she'd said. "Even Ava agrees this is ridiculous."

I frowned. I was pretty certain that Skye knew her name. Mine too. Everyone knew our names.

I took a shaky breath. This is not happening. As Mr. Ortega and the other lawyers started to explain, I zoned out and stared at the letter in my hands. I flipped it over then slowly started to open the letter. I held my breath as I read what was on the page.

Dearest Cassiopeia Elle Grambs,

There are some things that can never be found. Yet, we always find them in the end if we can learn to just look hard enough. Have patience. 4/12/02.

-Tobias T. Hawthorne

What the hell did that mean? Have patience? For what? I frowned at the numbers. Were they a phone number? A date? I doubted it was a phone number, there weren't enough digits needed. Which meant it had to be a date. The year could mean any century, like 2002, 1902, 1802, and so on. I focused on the first two. It could either be December 4, or April 12.

I huffed. I had a love/hate relationship with riddles. And mysteries.

Suddenly, two men came and firmly planted themselves between us and the rest of the family.

"Oren and Parker!" Zara sounded shocked. "You work for this family."

"I worked for Mr. Hawthorne." John Oren paused and held up a piece of paper. His letter, I thought. "It was his last request that I continue in the employment of Ms. Avery Kylie Grambs." He glanced over his shoulder to look at her. "Security. You'll need it."

The second man who I assumed to be my head of security spoke with dignity. "I am to continue in the employment of Ms. Cassiopeia Elle Grambs." "It's just Cassie," I muttered but he didn't hear me. Parker had sandy hair and a strict face. Both him and Oren looked as though they were in the military, which they probably were at some point.

Xander Hawthorne suddenly materialized next to me. "And not just to protect you from us!"

"Take a step back, please." Parker's voice boomed through the room.

"Xan's right." A man with shaggy brown hair said. Avery's breath hitched, and I knew who this was. Jameson Hawthorne. The third brother. "The entire world's going to want a piece of you two, Mystery Girls. This has story of the century written all over it." He gave a knowing grin towards Avery.

I let out a breath. I had a feeling something had happened between those two to create some sort of tension between them. We can worry about that later, I told myself. I focused on the current situation. Jameson's words popped back into my head. Story of the century. People were going to target us now. It probably was a good thing I had my own security.

This was real now. We were rich.

——————————————————————-
*some lines were taken directly from The Inheritance Games, credits to Jennifer Lynn Barnes* <guys let's pretend the year is 2020 but no covid/coronavirus, whatever.>

a/n: hey y'all I'm so sorry for not updating in what, two, three weeks?!? I'll try to be better but tbh I kinda forgot abt this for a bit. But this whole month is going to be hectic as hell, so I most likely won't be updating again for a while.

I already have the next chapter drafted so most likely that'll be posted later this week. Thanks to all who have read the first two chapters, I'll do my best to stay on schedule.

Anyways I finally convinced my friend to read the inheritance games, thanks to them for reminding me abt this fanfic. Ok this is getting RLLY long now byeeee luv yalll (im embracing my inner texan)