You Look Like Her

TYSM FOR 100+ READS AHHH IM SO HAPPPYYY KEEP IT UP!!! Btw Pinterest is my new fav thing like look at that pic ⬆️ ⬆️⬆️⬆️

————————————————————————

The next day was Monday. Great. I absolutely loved Mondays.

I begrudgingly pulled on the school uniform Alisa had given me. A plaid skirt, a white long sleeved, collared shirt, and a crimson blazer. I glanced at myself in the mirror and grimaced at my outfit. I looked like an atrocious prep school girl. Which was probably the look Alisa was going for. Dainty, delicate, and delirious.

I was none of those things. I was messy, strong and focused. For heavens sake, I had one of the most fucked up lives ever, yet I was still an exceptional author and an even better archer.

Sighing, I left my room to go get what I believe is to be the most important meal of the day—breakfast. According to the time in my phone, I was doing good on time. I had at least an hour before I had to leave for school.

After spending so long wandering the halls of Hawthorne House, I'd gotten somewhat familiar with the place. Or at least that's what I thought before I reached a dead end.

I groaned. As I was about to turn around, something unusual caught my eye. I refocused on the wall, inspecting it. The wall looked as though it had been hand built, the sloppiness indicated that it was built quickly. This wall was added in, I realized. It's not a part of the House.

I frowned. This didn't make sense. What was being hid behind this wall of bricks?

"Looks like you've found Uncle Toby's wing." The low voice of Grayson Hawthorne echoed throughout the hall.

"Uncle Toby?" I asked, not bothering to face him.

"Our grandparents youngest child and only son. According to our mother and aunt, he was the baby of the family." As he said this, Grayson stepped next to me.

"Was?" Grayson gave me a questioning look. "You said Toby 'was' the baby, as in past tense," I clarified.

The air around us changed. It became more tense. I watched Grayson's jaw working, trying to come up with a plausible response.

"Yes," Grayson said, choosing his words carefully. "Our uncle died decades ago in a fire" I bit my lip when the words left his mouth.

"That must have been awful," I said, putting as much sincerity as I could I to my tone. I turned to face him.

Ever since I'd been a kid, I'd taught myself to read people, and to notice the smallest of the smallest things about a person. It was a skill I'd always had, and Mom had been a great help in evolving it. She loved calling it my 'Spidey Sense.' I could always tell when something was bothering her, whether it was money, or our dad. The only time my 'Spidey Sense' failed me was when I didn't realize that Mom was sick and that nothing could help her.

That was the last time I'd ever overlooked anything.

It was a good thing I remembered to use it, otherwise I wouldn't have caught that way Grayson winced ever so slightly when he met my eyes. Why does he look so pained when he looks at me?

"Grayson?" He turned his head towards me, sorrow and fear clouding his eyes. But it quickly disappeared behind a mask of impassion. "Yes, Cassie?"

"The way you look at me. It's as if I pain you. You can barely even glance my way without flinching. I get that you hate the fact that Avery and I 'stole' your inheritance, but it's so much more than that, isn't it?" My voice was quiet, made only for Grayson's ears.

"You're right, Cassie," Grayson murmured. "It is so much more than that." His stone hard tone broke with his last words.

"What did I do?" I whispered. Grayson tore his silver eyes from my blue ones and closed them, tilting his head up towards the rays of sun behind us. He didn't respond for a long time. When he did, voice was a whisper that matched mine.

"You look like her."

————————————————————————

a/n hey y'all I've been really tired lately so this is one of the really short chapters compared to the last two ig. I'll try to start the next one but I felt like this was a good place to end off (heheh)  also I'm loving the title like ahh!! It's different from the simple two words, it's a quote so I might start changing the titles to quotes... what do y'all think?

anywaysssssssss I won't post until at least Wednesday im sorrryyy 😭dude I'm so tired 😭😭 this whole week has been so tiring thanks for getting us to 114 reads I've said that at least twice now but ❤️❤️❤️ also Happy Easter to everyone who celebrate! I dont but that won't stop me from wishing y'all!!! Byeee