The Stray

Yes y'all, another EXCRUCIATINGLY long chapter but hey, it's better than nothing ig

————————————————————————

I woke up the next morning from my dreamless sleep tangled in my sheets. I sat up groggily, my mind slurred and muddled. As I sat there for a few minutes trying to gain a sense of self, it all came rushing back. My letter. The clue. Grayson.

I shivered as I thought about the blonde man. I remembered the remarks that had been said, then me tossing his clothes into the pool. I couldn't suppress my smile. I'd felt so in the moment that I hadn't had the time to enjoy myself.

Clouds parted outside, allowing the bright sun to shine through the glass wall and into my room, igniting the dark place. Looking out the glass window, I half expected Grayson to come walking from the main gate. The rational part of myself told me that there was no way he was going to be there. I wasn't surprised, but I was a bit disappointed.

Why am I disappointed? This is the same guy who threatened my sisters. My sisters. How had I forgotten about them? Avery was moving into Hawthorne House today, one day after I had to.

As I swung my legs over my impossibly huge bed, only one thought ran through my head.

The Hawthornes are crazy. Literally crazy.

...........................................................................

After I'd finished brushing my teeth, I dug around in my suitcase trying to find my spare clothes. When I submerged from my mess, I came up with a Disney princess tank top and matching shorts. I groaned. I'd packed only for a night, and these were my spare clothes in case I spilled or something. Sighing, I wriggled into the light blue tank top and shorts, silently cursing my dressing choices.

I quickly shoved the mess back into my suitcase, not bothering to put it back all neat and nice. I was just going to destroy the display when I came back. I found a zip up sweatshirt that I gratefully slipped on. I quickly started to tidy up my room, making my bed and clearing up the couches. I placed my book on my nightstand, grabbed my phone, and left the room.

As I tried to find my way to the kitchen, I had the eerie feeling someone was watching and following me. I turned around and a couple of yards behind me was Parker. Right. I forgot about that.

When I'd finally stumbled into the kitchen, my stomach was rumbling, my head was throbbing, and I was this close to bite someone's fingers if they stopped me from eating breakfast.

I didn't even bother checking who was in the kitchen before I threw open the cabinets, looking for food.

"Calm down, Ms. Starving." I jerked my head around and saw the person who I despised with all my being. Grayson Hawthorne.

"Well then, where's the foo-" My words died in my throat when I noticed the table. It was packed with mouth watering goods like pastries and fruits and so many beverages.

I stumbled toward the table, my eyes focused on the food and the food only. Grayson said something but I didn't hear him. All sounds had been diminished.

I sat down and started shoveling the gorgeous delicacies into my mouth. After a few minutes, I let out a satisfied sigh. I rubbed my forehead as the migraine started to fade away. I heard a slight chuckle from across the table. I glanced up and was almost surprised to see Grayson there. I'd forgotten he was there.

"Happy now, Food Grinch?" He smirked. I narrowed my eyes at him but ignored his remark. I stabbed a blueberry pancake with my fork.

"Yes, actually. I'm very satisfied. The food is delicious." Grayson have me smug little grin.