The Boys

A/n: guys let's pretend I published this after The Stray (and before the school scene) I have the book in my possession now so it will be ten times easier to follow by the book (I'll try not to skip over parts again sorryyyy). My timeline is literal shit right now. This will be this week's chapter. Anyways y'all have heard enough of my blabbering, let's get back to Cassie! (Let me know if there are typos plsss)
————————————————————————
I wandered the hallways of Hawthorne House for what seemed to be the millionth time. School started tomorrow, and I needed to be able to find my way to the kitchens without getting lost.

After fifteen minutes, I finally found the kitchen. I grabbed a chocolate muffin to munch on while I continued my adventure. Pico, who had been trailing me, barked playfully at my muffin.

"I'm sorry, boy. But you can't have this. How about..." I inspected the cupboards for something for Pico to eat. I found a container of peanut butter. Grinning, I grabbed a small spoon and scooped a tiny amount of peanut butter onto it. I knelt to Pico's level and allowed him to lick the spoon of peanut butter.

Laughing, I watched in amazement as he quickly finished his treat. The servants came and gave him proper food everyday, but since Pico was being a good dog, I felt the need to reward him. And because he was cute. I washed the spoon and put it in the dishwasher to dry. Then we continued our exploration.

The walls of the house were covered in pictures and self portraits of the Hawthorne family. I stopped to look at one of Tobias Hawthorne. He had silvery eyes, much like Grayson's. He had Jameson's jawline, but Nash's chin. It was eerie, just how many traits he shared with his grandsons.

Before I could continue on, I saw Nash and Avery coming towards me. "Hey kid," Nash greeted with a tip of his hat.

"Where are you two going?" I asked, suspicious lining my tone. Avery's eyes widened as she quickly understood what I was implying. Nash, on the other hand, didn't notice the exchange, or he just didn't care. It was most likely the latter.

"Going to kick some ass." I stared at him, a laugh threatening to break from me. "Wanna join?" I nodded and followed the cowboy to a majestic door. He threw it open, and an absolutely gorgeous library unfolded before my eyes. I gasped slightly.

It was a circular room with shelves as tall as the room, with iron staircases twirling towards the higher shelves. A giant tree stump stood in the center of it all, acting as a desk. It was beautiful.

It was only after I'd finished gawking at the room that my brain finally registered that two boys were standing on opposite sides of the room. And it just so happened that one of the two boys was Grayson Davenport Hawthorne. Amazing. Just amazing.

"So," Nash said, "Whose ass do I need to kick first?"

Grayson, who'd been ignoring our entrance until now, looked up at his brother, not even glancing toward my sister and I. "Must we always resort to fisticuffs?"

"Looks like I have a volunteer for the first ass kicking," Nash replied, eyeing the other boy, who was no other than Jameson Hawthorne. Even better. "Do I have a second?"

My breath shuddered as I forced to keep a disbelieved scoff in. These boys weren't just crazy. They were idiotic lunatics too.

Jameson, for his part, flashed a devastatingly handsome grin. Ew, no! Why are you thinking that Cassie! "Couldn't stay away, could you, big brother?"

"And leave the girls with here with you two knuckleheads?" I fought down the urge to shrink into myself and run away. Up till now, neither of the brothers had acknowledged our presence. Grayson's ice-like eyes pierced through me. I could tell he was surprised, but masked it well. I didn't need to look at his face to see the flash of hurt in them. Fantastic, I thought bitterly.