The Feud

⚠️ Warning ⚠️ Swearing

Y'all this is going to be a looonnnggg chapter bc I want to decrease the amount of parts I'm writing so that there's less filler chapters. Sorryyyy but this should hold y'all till my next update.

———————————————————————

Remember, Cathrine Grace Westing. Remember.

Goosebumps were all over my arms. A sudden chill laced my spine and I shivered. Who the hell was Cathrine Grace Westing? Somehow, the name seemed familiar. Like I'd heard it before.

I shook my head—hard. I needed to clear my thoughts. My gaze drifted over to my luggage which I kept closed at the foot of my bed. It held a spare change of clothes, my pajamas, toiletries, and books. I quickly strode over to my suitcase and started digging around in it. Soon, I found what I'd been looking for. I brandished The War That Saved My Life with triumph.

Giddily waddling over to the sofas, I wrapped myself in a blanket and curled into the cushions. I gently opened my book to Chapter Four. The Kimberly Brubaker Bradley novel was falling apart, with a cracked spine, a torn cover, and wrinkled pages. I'd read this book so many times, I could recite each and every word.

I'd first read the beautiful and tragic story when I was 12, and I've been a book worm since. Reading was one of the only things that could distract me, take me away from reality. Despite having so many different favorite books, The War That Saved My Life along with its sequel held a special place in my heart.

I sighed in content as I indulged into a place I knew so well, my comfort zone. Soon, the minutes ticked by and turned into hours, and it was almost midnight when I finished my book.

I let out a long breath. I'd barely even noticed the time going by. That happened whenever I got lost in my fantasies. Not wanting to get out of my cozy cocoon, I lay there for a few minutes. In a rush, the memories of Tobias Hawthorne's secret message to me came back in a flood.

Whoa. I needed to organize this.

I started with the things I knew. I knew that from the way Hawthorne had phrased his words, he was talking to whoever this Cathrine Westing was. He didn't mean for me to remember Cathrine, but for Cathrine to remember something. But if this message was for her, why did Hawthorne give it to me?

I groaned as I realized I was spiraling again. Forcing myself to get out of my warm bundle on the couch, I went over to the bathroom to relieve myself.

After I finished my business, Ipicked up my phone from a small table next to the glass wall. I noticed I had a message from Alisa which had been sent hours ago.When she'd given Avery and I new phones, I found that Alisa, Oren, and Parker's number were already in there, along with Avery and Libby's. Alisa's message stated for me to meet her and my younger sister at the hotel.

I twisted my mouth. I'd missed a meeting with our lawyer, and she was probably going to kill me. While I was debating whether or not I should text her and receive a lecture, I saw movement out of the corner of my eye.

Turning my full attention towards the giant window, I saw a figure walking towards Hawthorne House. I stepped closer to the glass to get a closer look. The figure walked briskly and with meaning. I didn't even have to see the figure's face before I knew who it was. The suit, the platinum hair, the confidence? It all belonged to one man.

Grayson Hawthorne. The man who could make the world bend to his will. I watched him stride towards the House, but instead of entering through the front doors, he took a right and disappeared.