2.

No rays of sun breached Lilith's room, making it all the more difficult to leave her warm cocoon of blankets. Her alarm persisted on its fifth ring before she relented and rose from bed.

"I'm awake," she declared, slipping into a cozy purple sweater as she shuffled toward the kitchen. A wave of melancholy washed over her, confronting what she'd tried to evade for the past two years.

In the kitchen, Tyler was already bustling about, preparing breakfast for Rose. "Good morning, Lil," he greeted, sealing a jar of jam before casting a glance her way. "Coffee's still hot," he pointed to the mug on the counter.

"Thanks," Lilith murmured, her mind a whirlwind of thoughts. Tyler had been just twenty-six when their parents passed, shouldering the responsibility of caring for a seven year old Rose while she sought refuge abroad, fleeing the flames of grief.

The patter of Rose's feet bounding down the stairs brought a soft chuckle from Lilith's lips, a brief respite from the weight of her memories. "Good morning!" she greeted with enthusiasm, planting a kiss on Rose's cheek and exchanging a hug with Tyler.

As they savored their breakfast and engaged in casual conversation, Tyler reached for a napkin to wipe his mouth. "So, Lilith, do you mind meeting Laura and her brother later this evening? She's very excited to finally meet you," he said, glancing at his watch. "Her brother around your age. I think you two can help us with the last-minute preps."

"I'm intrigued to meet the lucky lady," Lilith quipped, a mischievous twinkle in her eye. "Is she prepared to handle the whirlwind that is Tyler?" Rose erupted into giggles, thoroughly entertained by the playful banter of her siblings.

Tyler rolled his eyes and laughed defeated, "Ladies, you'll be late for school." he announced before they made their way to the car.

Lilith glanced at her watch, feeling the weight of anticipation as Tyler's car pulled up to the school. The familiar hum of The Smiths played in the background, courtesy of her brother's eclectic taste in music.

"Good luck, Lil," Tyler offered, a warm smile on his face as he parked near the school entrance.

"Thanks, Tee," Lilith replied, returning his smile before stepping out of the car. Her fingers automatically found her phone, already buzzing with messages from her best friend, Julia.

"Hey, girl!" Julia's voice was like a ray of sunshine as she rushed over, enveloping Lilith in a tight hug. "You ready for the chaos?"

Lilith chuckled, returning Julia's embrace. "As ready as I'll ever be."

They walked side by side, navigating the bustling halls of the school. Julia was a whirlwind of chatter, informing Lilith everything she needs to know regarding the school. She wanted to make Lilith feel welcomed in her new schools, by all means.

"Wait until you hear about Britney's latest drama," Julia said, her eyes sparkling with mischief. "It's like we're living in a teen soap opera."

Lilith laughed, "Britney transferred here too?"

As they reached their lockers, Amanda appeared, her excitement palpable. "Have you heard?" she exclaimed, practically bouncing on her heels. "Ryle Wright is back!"

Lilith raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "Ryle Wright?" she echoed, a note of curiosity in her voice.

"The heartthrob of our school," Amanda gushed, showing off her phone screen. "Trust me, you'll want a front-row seat for this."

Julia rolled her eyes, unimpressed. "More like the drama king," she muttered under her breath.

Lilith exchanged a knowing glance with Julia, already bracing herself for the inevitable chaos that Ryle's return would bring.

"Look who's finally graced us with her presence," Britney said in a song-like voice as she pulled Lilith to a hug, "I got us coffee." Britney handed Lilith a cup of coffee, of which she gladly accepted.

Lilith was glad that her some things really do stay the same. She was glad to be reunited with her two oldest best friend in a new school.

Realizing she was late for class, Lilith excused herself from the group. "I'll hand over your cheerleader gear later, okay?" Julia called out as Lilith hurried away.

Lilith turned to give a thumbs-up in response but found herself colliding with someone, spilling coffee in the process.

"What on earth?" the guy exclaimed, annoyance evident in his tone. He sported a white shirt, leather jacket, and jeans, looking every bit the brooding bad boy. Ryle was holding his now soaking shirt away from his torso.

"I didn't see you there," Lilith stammered, flustered by the encounter and the spilled coffee.

Internally, Ryle facepalmed, lamenting the unfolding social disaster. The surrounding giggles only added to his chagrin. "You missed me?" he retorted wryly, emphasizing the last two words. "Maybe next time, use your peepers."

Firing back, Lilith's retort crackled with wit. "And maybe next time, ditch the shades, Mr. Mysterious. They're not helping your incognito vibe."

A tightness gripped Ryle's chest as irritation flared, but he bit back his retort and silently navigated through the crowd. Refusing his cane, he moved with determined strides.

Lilith made her way to class, to be greeted by no other than Julia. Lilith seethed with vexation, as she recounted the encounter to Julia in hushed whispers.

"Well, Lilith, you've just had the pleasure of meeting Ryle Wright."