17.

Lilith stood before the mirror, the soft silk of her lavender dress cool against her skin. The delicate fabric flowed around her figure, catching the light like a blooming flower. With a final swirl, she smiled, satisfied with her reflection.

Stepping out of the room, she found Laura struggling with the zipper on the back of her own dress. Laura looked stunning in a simple white gown, but a hint of sadness lingered in her eyes.

"Cold feet?" Lilith teased, kneeling down to help with the zipper.

Laura remained silent, her gaze distant. Lilith's playful smile faltered. "Laura, what's wrong?" she pressed gently.

Tears welled up in Laura's eyes. "It's silly, really," she stammered. "Tyler and I talked about it, and he's so supportive... but I can't have children, Lilith."

A wave of understanding washed over Lilith. "Oh, Laura," she murmured, pulling Laura into a tight embrace. "That doesn't change a thing. You deserve all the happiness in the world, and Tyler clearly sees that."

Laura sniffed, clinging to Lilith for a moment. "He says so, but..."

Lilith chuckled, wiping away Laura's tears. "He wouldn't have proposed if he felt differently. You're perfect for each other, Laura. Don't you let doubt cloud that."

A hairstylist's knock on the door interrupted them. As the stylist began working her magic on Laura's hair, Lilith excused herself, her own artistic spirit calling.

Moments later, Laura walked down the aisle, her hand resting on her father's arm. Nathan, usually stoic, had a tear shimmering in his eye. Olivia, her face radiant, beamed with pride.  The melody of the wedding march filled the air, carrying Laura towards her future with Tyler.

During the ceremony, Rose and Lilith shared an amused glance as they caught a glimpse of Lilith's partially completed painting. It was a stunningly realistic portrayal of Laura and Tyler, their faces glowing with happiness.

"Looks like a photograph!" Laura exclaimed softly as she and Tyler stood hand-in-hand after exchanging vows.

Ryle, looking sharp in a grey tux with his hair styled and swept back, appeared beside Lilith. His presence sent a jolt of nervous excitement through her. He wrapped his sister in a hug, his smile reaching his eyes.

Suddenly, the song "Slipping Through My Fingers" began to play. Memories flooded Lilith's mind, causing tears to well up. Ryle, sensing her distress, nudged her playfully.

"Hey, no waterworks yet!" he teased, a hint of vulnerability in his voice. But a moment later, a tear escaped his own eye, glistening on his cheekbone.

Lilith managed a watery smile. "Just the music," she choked out, turning her attention back to the painting.

"Laura convinced me to give therapy a shot," Ryle drawled sarcastically, "figured I needed all the help I could get dealing with her."

Lilith's lips curved into a smile. This was the Ryle she knew and liked, the one with a sharp wit and a hidden well of affection.

"I'm transferring to the US for school at the end of the week," Lilith revealed, a touch of sadness in her voice. "I'll miss you, Rose, and Tyler."

Ryle's smile vanished. "Leaving so soon?"  He forced a smile, trying to mask the pang of loss.

Lilith nodded. "But look at how well everything turned out," she said, gesturing to the wedding ceremony unfolding before them. "All that planning paid off."

As the cake was served, Lilith and Ryle shared a piece, both lost in their own thoughts. A wave of nostalgia washed over them, reminding them of all the late-night planning sessions and the bond they had strengthened in the process.

Lilith suddenly turned to Ryle, a flicker of regret in her eyes. "About what I said about your sister..." her voice trailed off, unable to finish the sentence.

Ryle knew exactly what she meant.  He felt the bitterness linger, a faint echo of their last argument.

He placed a hand on her shoulder, a gesture of understanding. "It's okay," he said softly. "I wish things were different too, but we can't change the past."

Lilith reached for his hand, squeezing it gently. "Thank you," she whispered.

Just then, Ryle opened his mouth to speak, but stopped himself short. "Never mind," he said finally. "Just enjoy your brother's wedding, alright?"

Lilith nodded, a melancholic smile playing on her lips. Despite the bittersweetness of the moment, she knew this was a new beginning for everyone.

A warm hand clasped Lilith's, startling her out of the happy chaos of the reception. Olivia, Ryle's mother, beamed at her, her emerald eyes sparkling with genuine warmth. 

"Lilith, darling! You look absolutely stunning," Olivia exclaimed, pulling Lilith into a gentle embrace. The scent of her signature lavender perfume, lighter and fresher than the silk dress she wore, enveloped Lilith.

Caught off guard by the unexpected affection, Lilith stammered, "Thank you, Mrs. Wright. It's so nice to finally meet you."

A teasing glint appeared in Olivia's eyes. "Please, call me Olivia. And you can call Nathan by his first name too, now that you're practically family."

Lilith felt a blush creep up her neck.  She stole a glance at Ryle's father, who stood a few feet away, a sardonic smile playing on his lips.

"Easy there, Mom," Ryle drawled. "Let the poor girl breathe before you smother her with affection."

Olivia swatted his arm playfully but kept her gaze fixed on Lilith. "Don't listen to him, dear. He just gets jealous when someone else gets all the attention."

Ryle scoffed, but the amusement in his eyes betrayed him.  Lilith couldn't help but smile at their playful banter.  Despite the warmth of Olivia's welcome, a pang of sadness settled in Lilith's stomach.  Ryle seemed distant, lost in his own thoughts.  

She recalled their earlier conversation, his silence after she mentioned leaving.  Was he upset?  Sad?  She longed to understand what was going on behind his sightless eyes.  But for now, she simply forced a smile.