25.

The clinking of silverware and hushed conversations created a symphony of sound in the upscale restaurant. Ryle, impeccably dressed in a tailored suit and his hair pulled back in a tidy manbun, navigated the unfamiliar environment with practiced ease. Laura and Tyler, seated across from him and Lilith, kept him entertained with playful banter and updates on their lives.

As the evening progressed, a subtle shift occurred in Ryle's demeanor. He started rubbing his temples, his brow furrowing ever so slightly. When Lilith reached for his hand, his grip was unexpectedly tight, leaving faint crescent moons on her palm.

"Ryle, are you alright?" she murmured, her voice laced with concern.

Ryle forced a smile, his voice tight. "Fine, just fine. Headache starting, that's all."

Laura, a doctor by profession, shot him a worried glance. However, before she could inquire further, a tremor rippled through Ryle's body. His grip on Lilith's hand faltered, replaced by a rigid clench. His features contorted in a silent scream, and his head snapped back.

Panic surged through Lilith as Ryle's body jolted, a series of uncontrollable spasms racking his frame. Laura, with the practiced efficiency of a seasoned medical professional, reacted instantly. "Ryle!" she cried out, pushing him gently backward until he lay flat on the cushioned chair. She guided his head to the side, clearing a path for his breath.

The seizure, as brief and violent as it was, subsided as quickly as it began. Lilith, tears streaming down her face, clung to Ryle's hand, desperately willing him to regain consciousness.

Moments later, Ryle's eyelids fluttered open. Disorientation clouded his emerald eyes for a fleeting moment before recognition dawned. His gaze met Lilith's, filled with concern and something else – fear.

Back in the serene haven of the penthouse, Ryle sat on the bed, a picture of perfect health (except for the lingering tremors, of course). Laura assessed his vitals with practiced ease. After a final reassessment, she squeezed his shoulder and offered a reassuring smile. "You'll be fine, Ryle. Just take it easy for a couple of days."

Ryle snorted, a hint of sarcasm lacing his voice. "Easy? Sounds like my life motto these days. Easy on the stairs, easy on the lights, easy on... living."

Laura shot him a playful glare. "Don't be dramatic. Consider it a forced vacation. Think of all the Shakespeare you can finally catch up on."

Ryle raised an eyebrow. "Shakespeare in the dark? Sounds like torture, even for a guy with limited sight options."

Laura chuckled, shaking her head. "Alright, alright. Just promise me you'll be careful, okay? Stay away from environments like this for a while."

"Fine, fine," Ryle grumbled, rolling his eyes playfully. "Just promise you won't tell Mom I had a seizure in a crowded restaurant. She'd probably have me bubble-wrapped for the rest of my life."

Laura smiled, a hint of understanding in her eyes. "Your secret's safe with me, little brother. Now, get some rest. You look like you could use it."

With a wave goodbye, Laura departed, leaving Lilith and Ryle alone in the dimly lit living room. Ryle let out a shaky breath, a wave of exhaustion washing over him.

Lilith, her eyes red-rimmed but her voice strong, said, "Hey, wait for me."

After changing into pajamas, Ryle lied down, and Lilith fed Lucy a treat, the cat purring contentedly in her lap. She then joined Ryle on the bed, drawing Lucy in between them.

While Lilith scrolled through her phone, a flicker of amusement playing on her lips, Ryle broke the silence.

"Sorry," he muttered, his voice laced with self-reproach. "For ruining the night, for scaring you."