24.

Sunlight streamed through the floor-to-ceiling windows, painting golden stripes across Ryle's bare chest.  Lilith stirred beside him, a contented smile playing on her lips.  She reached out, tracing the familiar outline of the anchor tattoo etched on his shoulder.  Lucy nudged her hand with a gentle purr, demanding her share of morning affection.

Lilith chuckled softly, careful not to disturb Ryle's slumber.  Slipping out of bed, she made her way to the living room, Lucy padding silently at her heels.

There, waiting for her on the laptop screen, was the email that would change their lives.  Cambridge University. Accepted. Psychology major.  A wave of exhilaration washed over Lilith.  She squealed with delight, a sound that instantly jolted Ryle awake.

He groaned, momentarily disoriented, before the sound registered in his sleep-addled brain.  "Babe? What's wrong?"

"Wrong?" Lilith spun around, a radiant smile illuminating her face.  "Everything is right!  I got in, Ryle!  Cambridge!"

Ryle blinked, his emerald eyes focusing on her.  A slow grin spread across his face, even if a hint of sarcasm lingered in his voice.  "Wow, congratulations, Lil.  They must be desperate for Freud enthusiasts."

Lilith playfully swatted his arm.  "Don't be jealous.  Your acceptance letter is probably just waiting for you in your inbox."

A flicker of hope sparked in Ryle's eyes, but he quickly tamped it down.  "Yeah, right.  Maybe they need someone to argue with the pigeons on campus."

He shuffled towards the laptop, a hint of apprehension in his movements.  Clicking on his email, his breath hitched.  He reached for his headset to listen to Siri dictate his message.There, in bold letters, was the same message as Lilith's –  acceptance.  Law school.

For a moment, Ryle's face remained blank, an unreadable mask.  Then, he let out a dramatic sigh.  "Oh no," he groaned, his voice laced with mock despair.  "Looks like I'm stuck with you for the next few years, shrink."

Lilith burst into laughter.  Rushing towards him, she threw her arms around his neck, burying her face in his chest.  Together they erupted in a fit of giggles, the joy of their shared acceptance washing away any lingering doubts.

Breakfast was a joyous affair, filled with laughter and whispered plans for their future.  As they sat across from each other, Lilith picked up a small object from the table.  It was a simple wooden cube.

"Alright," she declared with a mischievous glint in her eyes, "time for your shape therapy."

Ryle rolled his eyes, but a playful smile tugged at the corner of his lips.  "Here we go again."

He squinted.  A sigh escaped his lips.  "Triangle?"

"Nope," Lilith chirped, shaking her head.

Frustration flickered across Ryle's face. "Damn it," he muttered.  "I don't know, Lilith.  It's all a blur."

Lilith reached out and squeezed his hand gently.  "It's okay, love.  Don't give up.  The doctor's appointment is today, remember?  Maybe they'll have some new answers for us."

Ryle nodded silently, a shadow of worry clouding his expression. 

The doctor's office was sterile and impersonal, the air thick with the antiseptic scent of medicine.  The doctor, a kind-faced woman with gentle blue eyes, examined Ryle's eyes thoroughly.  The silence stretched on as she peered through her instruments, her brow furrowed in concentration.

Finally, she leaned back, a sigh escaping her lips.  "Mr. Wright," she began, her voice soft, "continued practice with shapes may help, but there's a chance, a fifty percent chance, that it won't lead to significant improvement."

The air hung heavy with the weight of her words.  A flicker of anger crossed Ryle's face, quickly replaced by a deep sadness.  He remained silent throughout the rest of the appointment, the news settling like a lead weight in his stomach.

The drive home was shrouded in an oppressive silence.  Back in the penthouse, Ryle retreated to the bedroom, his shoulders slumped in defeat.  Lilith followed him, her heart aching for him.

"Ryle," she said. Lilith placed a gentle hand on his arm, her touch a silent plea for him to acknowledge her presence.  He turned towards her, his face etched with a weariness that went beyond physical exhaustion.

"Fifty-fifty," he muttered, his voice barely a whisper.  "A coin toss.  Heads I see the world again, tails I stay trapped in this darkness and pain."

Lilith sat down beside him on the bed, her eyes filled with a quiet determination.  "It's not a coin toss, Ryle," she said firmly.  "It's a fight.  And you're not one to give up without a fight."

Ryle met her gaze, a flicker of defiance igniting in his emerald eyes.  "What's the point, Lilith?  What if it doesn't work?  What if I'm stuck like this forever?"

"Then we make new memories," Lilith declared, her voice unwavering.  "We go to Cambridge together, blind or not.  We explore new places, learn new things.  We build a life filled with laughter and love, just like we planned."

She reached out, her fingers tracing the outline of his face.  "We may not see the sunrise together, but we can feel its warmth on our skin.  We may not see the stars at night, but we can learn their constellations by touch.  There's a whole world out there waiting for us, Ryle, and we'll experience it together, side by side."

A single tear escaped the corner of Ryle's eye, tracing a silent path down his cheek.  He reached out and grasped her hand, his grip surprisingly strong.

"You really believe that?" he asked, his voice hoarse with emotion.

Lilith smiled, a radiant beacon in the dimness.  "With every fiber of my being," she whispered.  "We'll face this together, Ryle.  Every step of the way."

In that moment, amidst the uncertainty and fear, a spark of hope flickered to life.  Maybe fifty-fifty wasn't a death sentence.  Maybe it was a fighting chance.  And with Lilith by his side, Ryle was ready to fight.