3.

Lilith's scowl deepened, her tapping nails betraying her agitation. "He's WHAT?" she exclaimed, her disbelief evident in her tone.

"Yup, blind," Britney confirmed between spoonfuls of pudding, her words punctuated by a playful smirk. "Lost his sight two years back, I think. Car accident, if my memory serves me right," she added, nudging Julia for confirmation.

Julia nodded solemnly, her gaze thoughtful. "Yep, same year you graced us with your presence, Brit. But let's not dwell on ancient history," she quipped, a mischievous glint in her eye.

Amanda chimed in, her voice tinged with a hint of indignation. "Exactly, Lilith. Just because he can't see doesn't mean he gets a free pass to be rude," she remarked, her disapproval evident.

Britney nodded in agreement, pausing her pudding indulgence for a moment. "Couldn't have said it better myself. Blind or not, manners cost nothing," she concluded with a decisive nod, her tone leaving no room for argument.

"Why didn't he finish his senior year last year?" Lilith asked, poking at her pudding with newfound curiosity, her appetite momentarily forgotten. She felt a pang of guilt for her earlier jab at his glasses.

Julia teased, her lips twitching with amusement. "I don't know, Lily. Why don't you ask him, " she quipped, her tone playful yet pointed. The girls shared a knowing look, stifling giggles behind their hands.

"Why would yo—" Lilith was interrupted by a newcomer. The girls' admiring gazes turned towards him, but Lilith remained lost in thought.

"Hey there," Julia greeted the newcomer with a charming smile. "Where's Xavier?"

"Don't worry, nobody's snatched your boyfriend yet." Oliver teased, rolling his eyes with a hint of playful sarcasm. "He's just busy practicing his swoon-worthy moves."

Oliver turned to find Lilith lost in thought, her expression distant yet intriguing.
"She's quite the mystery," he whispered to Julia, his eyes sparkling with curiosity. "New around here?"

"What do you think, Sherlock? Of course she's new," Britney replied with a chuckle, her tone laced with playful banter. Lilith shot her a quizzical look, her interest piqued by the conversation unfolding around her.

"I'm Oliver," he introduced himself, extending his hand with a charming smile. "I believe we have English together?"

"Yes," Lilith nodded, her gaze meeting his with a hint of curiosity. "I'm Lilith, but you can call me Lily," she replied, her voice soft yet confident. With a flicker of anticipation, she returned her attention to her friends, her mind buzzing with newfound intrigue.

After lunch with her friends, Lilith sought solace in the library to work on her drawings, her mind still mulling over the encounter with Ryle earlier that day. As she pondered, Ryle entered the library, alone this time. Lilith debated whether to apologize, but decided against it. She didn't need another confrontation. Instead, she focused on her drawing, stealing glances at him every now and then. Ryle sat nearby, engrossed in a book in braille, his shades off. Lilith couldn't help but notice that his eyes looked perfectly normal. His green eyes looked focused on the book. She wondered why he was wearing is shades earlier.

Ryle sighed, running his fingers over the pages of his book. This day couldn't get any worse, he thought. He couldn't care less about Moby Dick right now, but he needed something to occupy his mind. At least in the library, he could be left alone. His headache throbbed with every passing minute, and he longed to return home and work out his frustration.

Hours later, Lilith prepared to meet her future sister-in-law for dinner, hoping for a distraction. She dressed in a simple baby blue dress, her hair curled delicately, and slipped on a pair of heels. As she looked at herself in the mirror, a rare smile graced her lips. She hadn't felt this included in a long time.

"How do I look?" She asked Tyler, her brother, her voice tinged with a hint of uncertainty.

Tyler rolled his eyes playfully. "Could you be any more extra?" he teased, his tone affectionate yet teasing.

Rose, her sister, bubbled with excitement. "Rayray's coming, right? I miss him already!" she exclaimed, her enthusiasm contagious.

Lilith furrowed her brow. "Who?"

"He's my friend," Rose explained with a grin, her eyes sparkling with excitement. Grabbing Lilith's hand, they made their way to the car, the anticipation palpable.

As they drove, laughter filled the car, and they arrived at a picturesque restaurant. The restaurant exuded an elegant ambiance, with soft lighting casting a warm glow over the polished wooden tables adorned with fresh flowers. The aroma of tantalizing dishes wafted through the air, mingling with the buzz of conversation and clinking of cutlery.

Lilith and Rose followed Tyler to the reserved table and they sat for a little. "So, where are they?" Lilith asked eagerly.

"They're on their way," Tyler answered to Lilith, while scanning the latest text Laura had sent him.

"Why didn't we pick them up?" Lilith asked.

"They live two blocks away," He answered. A couple minutes later, Laura walked in the restaurant with a very confident smile on her face.

""Hello, love," Laura greeted warmly, enveloping Tyler in a hug before planting a kiss on his cheek. Turning her attention to Lilith, she extended her hand with a gracious smile. "I'm Laura. Nice to meet you. You must be Lilith!"

"Pleasure to meet you, Laura," Lilith replied, her voice betraying a hint of awe as she took in Laura's grace and beauty. She fought back tears at the sight of her brother's happiness. "Likewise."

"Lily!" Rose exclaimed, her excitement contagious as she grabbed Lilith's hand and pulled her towards the restaurant entrance. "Meet Rayray." Lilith's gaze followed, her heart skipping a beat as she laid eyes on none other than Ryle Wright. She was utterly speechless.

"Hey, little one," Ryle greeted warmly, sharing a playful handshake with Rose. "You wouldn't believe the day I've had," he remarked as he lifted Rose onto his shoulder.

"Ray, I want you to meet Lily!" Rose exclaimed excitedly, her eyes shining with enthusiasm.

He had long black hair tied back in a bun, dressed sharply in a white button-down shirt, beige trousers, and a leather jacket, sans sunglasses.

"Uh, hello?" Ryle spoke, his hand lingering in the air as he offered a handshake.

Lilith swallowed hard, her nerves getting the best of her. "Hello, Ryle," she managed to utter, forcing a tight smile for Rose's sake.

"Why do you sound so familiar?" Ryle questioned, his curiosity piqued.