16.

The insistent rapping on the door shattered the fragile peace Ryle had cultivated. He didn't need to ask who it was. The scent of his mother's signature lavender perfume wafted in before he even opened the door a crack.

Olivia, his mother, was wearing a silk blouse that accentuated her emerald eyes, the same shade as Ryle's own sightless ones. She engulfed him in a hug that spoke volumes of her worry. "Ryle, darling," she murmured, her voice thick with emotion. "You've grown so much."

His father, Nathan, a renowned surgeon with a perpetually furrowed brow, offered a curt nod as a greeting. The air around him crackled with a familiar tension. Inside, Ryle tightened his grip on his cane, the polished wood a grounding force.

They settled in the living room, the carefully curated space feeling suddenly suffocating. Nathan wasted no time. "Come, sit beside me, son," he commanded, patting the space next to him.

Ryle complied with a sigh, bracing himself. Nathan leaned in, his sharp features illuminated by the afternoon sun. He pulled out a penlight, the beam a stark contrast to the muted tones of the room.

"Let's have a look at those eyes," Nathan said, his voice clinical.

Ryle flinched, a wave of rebellion washing over him. He gently pushed Nathan's hand away. "Don't," he said, his voice laced with assertiveness. "I'm not a patient, Dad. Last time I checked, I still have the right to refuse an impromptu examination."

Nathan's jaw clenched. "It's been two years, Ryle. Two years of you rejecting a life-changing surgery."

"A life-changing surgery with complications you conveniently forget to mention," Ryle countered, his voice colder than he intended. "I'm not a guinea pig, Dad."

Olivia placed a placating hand on Nathan's arm. "Honey, let's not fight. We just want what's best for him."

"And what exactly is that?" Ryle snapped, his frustration boiling over. "To see again and pretend everything is back to normal? Newsflash, it might get even worse!"

He stood abruptly, the anger a physical ache in his chest. Grasping his cane, he stormed out of the penthouse, the slam of the door echoing through the empty hallway.

He found himself at the familiar park by the lake, the very spot where he used to find solace in sketching the world around him. A soft voice startled him. "Ryle?"

Lilith stood behind him, her hands smudged with charcoal dust – evidence of her artistic endeavors. Relief washed over Ryle, despite the tension that had strained their relationship. They sat in silence, the sound of the gentle breeze rustling through the leaves filling the space between them.

Finally, Lilith broke the silence. "I heard your parents are in town," she said softly.

Ryle snorted, a bitter laugh escaping his lips. "Great timing, wouldn't you say? They just couldn't stay awake."

Lilith gasped, her eyes wide with surprise. "Don't say that, Ryle. I would give anything to have one minute with my parents again."

Shame washed over Ryle. Lilith's words were a sharp reminder of how privileged he truly was. He squeezed her hand, his voice softer. "You're right."

They sat in silence again, the unspoken words hanging heavy in the air. After a while, Lilith excused herself, leaving Ryle alone with his thoughts.

With a renewed sense of clarity, he made his way back home. His parents looked up as he entered, their faces etched with worry. He took a deep breath, the anger replaced by a quiet resolve.

"Mom, Dad," he said, his voice steady. "I know you mean well, and for that I appreciate your visit. But I've made a decision. The surgery isn't right for me. However," he continued, a flicker of understanding in his eyes, "I do understand your concern. Maybe...maybe we can find a way to move forward from here. Together."

Olivia's eyes softened, her grip on Nathan's hand tightening. "Of course, Ryle," she said, a glimmer of hope in her voice. "We're here for you, no matter what."

Nathan nodded, his expression softening ever so slightly. "We just want what's best for you, son," he said, his tone gentler than before.

Ryle felt a weight lift off his shoulders, the tension in the room dissipating like morning mist. Maybe, just maybe, there was a way forward – a way to bridge the gap between their differing perspectives.

As they sat together, bathed in the warm glow of the afternoon sun, Ryle allowed himself to believe that perhaps, despite their differences, they could find common ground. And in that shared understanding, he found a glimmer of hope for the future.

The next day, as Ryle bid his parents farewell before they set off to meet Laura, Olivia's gentle inquiry about the girl he'd been talking to lingered in his mind.

"How did you know about Lilith?" Ryle asked, a note of surprise in his voice.

Olivia smiled knowingly. "Your sister has a way of keeping us all in the loop," she replied with a chuckle. "But tell me, Ryle, is there something more between you and this girl?"

Ryle hesitated, unsure how much to divulge. "Lilith is just a friend," he replied evasively, hoping to end the conversation there.

But Olivia was persistent. "Just a friend, hmm?" she mused, her gaze probing. "You two seem quite close, from what Laura told me. Have you considered taking your relationship to the next level?"

Ryle shifted uncomfortably, "I... I'm not sure I'm ready for a relationship right now," he admitted reluctantly.

Olivia placed a comforting hand on his arm. "That's okay, Ryle," she said softly. "Take your time. Relationships are a big step, and it's important to be sure before you commit to anything."

Her words struck a chord with Ryle, resonating deep within him. Maybe he wasn't ready for a relationship yet, and that was okay. He needed to focus on himself, on healing and finding his own path forward.