4.

Ryle unfolded his cane and approached the table where Lilith sat, his expression a mixture of annoyance and resignation. "You're coffee girl," he muttered, his tone tinged with irritation. "How fortunate."

Lilith met his gaze with a raised eyebrow, her lips curling into a wry smile. "Lilith. Lily, if you must," she replied, her voice laced with sarcasm. "Let's make a pact to leave our little collision behind us, shall we? It's not worth ruining a perfectly good dinner."

Throughout the meal, Ryle kept his interactions with Lilith to a minimum, his annoyance evident in the way he barely acknowledged her presence. He focused his attention on his sister Rose, engaging with her in animated conversation while subtly avoiding Lilith's attempts at small talk.

As the evening wore on, Lilith made a concerted effort to include Ryle in the conversation, but he responded with curt answers and dismissive gestures. It was clear he had no interest in engaging further with her beyond the necessary pleasantries.

"With my parents away for a trip to Australia, I'll be needing all the help I can get." Laura spoke softly. Lilith met her concerns with a warm smile to ease her worries and a comforting smile.

Laura's mention of Lilith's artistic talents drew a fleeting flicker of interest from Ryle, but he quickly masked it with a nonchalant expression as he excused himself to the restroom.

As the night drew to a close, Lilith approached Ryle tentatively, her voice soft as she spoke. "Ryle, can we talk for a moment?"

Ryle sighed, his annoyance palpable. "What now?" he muttered, his tone terse.

"I just wanted to apologize," Lilith began, her words hesitant. "I didn't realise... well, I didn't mean to offend you earlier. I'm sorry."

Ryle's expression softened slightly, but his annoyance remained. "Apology accepted," he replied curtly, before turning away and retreating back to the table, leaving Lilith standing alone in the dimly lit restaurant, her apology hanging in the air between them.

Lilith eagerly tapped away at her phone, sharing the details of her eventful dinner with Ryle with her friends. Despite her annoyance earlier, she couldn't resist the urge to gossip about her brother's future brother-in-law.

As they arrived home, Lilith wasted no time changing into her comfiest pajamas and retreating to her room. With her brush in hand, she lost herself in the swirls of color on her canvas, the music in her ears providing a soothing backdrop to her thoughts.

Her concentration was shattered by the shrill ring of her phone, and she answered with a hint of irritation in her voice. "Hello?"

"Why the radio silence, Lil?" Julia's voice chirped on the other end. "Still on your royal date with Prince A-hole?"

Rolling her eyes, Lilith retorted, "Firstly, it was a family dinner, not a date. And secondly, can we please stop with the name-calling? He's not that bad."

"Ex-best friend, remember?" Julia reminded her, her tone softening. "But guess who's asking for your number?"

Lilith sighed. "Let me guess, Oliver?"

"Oliver it is!" Julia confirmed, her excitement palpable.

"Not interested," Lilith replied dryly, but she couldn't hide the hint of amusement in her voice.

As Lilith ended the phone call between her and her best friend, she headed to bed, overwhelmed by tomorrow's tasks.

---

After a long tiring day, Lilith found herself seeking refuge in the quiet sanctuary of the school library, her mind buzzing with anticipation for the upcoming cheerleading game. With a few hours to spare before the big event, she decided to make productive use of her time by submitting one of her own paintings to an upcoming school exhibit.

As she made her way to the designated area for submissions, her eyes were drawn to a series of paintings adorning the walls nearby. Vibrant and full of life, they stood in stark contrast to the subdued atmosphere of the library.

Intrigued, Lilith approached the paintings and began to examine them more closely. Each one seemed to pulsate with energy and emotion, capturing moments of joy, sorrow, and everything in between.

Among the paintings, one in particular caught Lilith's eye. It depicted a bustling city street, alive with movement and color, as if the artist had captured a snapshot of life itself.  Beside the painting, a small plaque identified the artist as Ryle Wright. Surprised and intrigued by this revelation, Lilith found herself drawn deeper into the world of Ryle's art, eager to uncover more about the enigmatic boy behind the brush.

As she continued to explore the exhibit, she couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to Ryle's past than met the eye. His paintings were a testament to his talent and creativity, but they also hinted at a deeper longing and complexity lurking beneath the surface.

"Lilith Forbes," Julia's voice came out in a shushed shout. She pulled Lilith's hand and threw her cheerleading uniform at her.

Lilith was taken aback by the sudden change of atmosphere. "What's wrong with you?" She asked through gritted teeth.

"You're late! The game is in thirty minutes." Julia spoke as she pulled Lilith to the changing rooms. Lilith was in her white and purple uniform, her hair in a high ponytail, and a purple ribbon in her hair.

Throughout the game, Lilith felt very energetic. She was cheering her heart out. In halftime, she saw Oliver and Xavier were making  their way to her and Julia.

"Hey baby," Xavier kissed Julia. They were soon hugging and kissing.

"Save it you two," Lilith teased. She sipped water and sat down. Oliver sat next to her and studied her.

He looked at her, her eyes were filled with energy, which made him smile. "I know right," he laughed.

Lilith glanced at her phone, noting the two unread messages from Tyler. With a quick swipe, she opened them, her heart sinking slightly at the news of Tyler's late work hours.

"He'll be working late again," she muttered to herself, a hint of disappointment in her tone. As she read on, her eyebrows shot up in surprise at the mention of Ryle coming over so that she and him could work on the wedding invitations, seatings, and some logistics.

"Ryle's coming over?" Lilith muttered, a curious mix of anticipation and apprehension swirling in her mind. She quickly typed out a response to Tyler, confirming her understanding of the situation before tucking her phone away and focusing on the task at hand.