003

ADRENALINE — CHAPTER 03vampire

vampire

26th october 2023
phoebe's point of view

i've always liked my music room.

it's not huge, but it's spacious, it's light and airy, but it's also easy to make cosy.

i'm messing around with a soft melody, i typically write lyrics first and then find a tune to go with them, but for some reason, this harmony has been going around my head for a few days, i'm just trying to find the right words, to give this rhythm justice.

"i've made some real big mistakes... but you make the worst one look fine"

i sing as my fingers play along the keys as my phone sits next to me, recording my song.

i never trust my own ears to know when something i've written is good or not, so i always record it and send it to jack, my producer.

"i should've known it was strange... you only come out at night"

"i used to think i was smart, but you made me look so naive, the way you sold me for parts as you sunk your teeth into me... oh"

"bloodsucker, famefucker, bleeding me dry like a goddamn vampire"

it's a good thing i live alone, because absolutely nobody would put up with me waking up at 3am to go sing a song.

i end the recording and immediately send it to jack, before noticing the time, 2:07am.

sometimes i forget how long it takes me just to write a few lines, so i quickly send a follow up text.

phoebe raynott
attached voice memo 'vampire'
hey! sorry, i know it's late, but if you could just give it a quick listen and let me know what you think once you're awake that'd be amazing x

i punctuate the text with a kiss, i'm not even trying to fight the british stereotype at this point.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

about 10 minutes later and i'm washing my face in my bathroom upstairs, wearing the most basic pyjama bottoms and a tank top.

i can hear a notification from my phone, on my bed. considering the time, i assume it's someone from home, given it's about 10am there.

i walk into my bedroom and open the message, it's an instagram DM? and there's two unread messages?

jacob elordi
hey ;)

2:07 am

phoebe raynott
attached voice memo 'vampire'
hey! sorry, i know it's late, but if you could just give it a quick listen and let me know what you think once you're awake that'd be amazing x

jacob elordi
this feels like a 'you up?' text

fuck. fuck. fuck.

i guess i must've just seen the j & a, and thought it was jack.

i immediately call isabel, no answer, of course she wouldn't be up, it's 2am.

i debate between ghosting him, responding politely, or letting my caveman brain take over and asking him to come round.

i go with the second choice, quickly responding. i didn't want it to look like i was overthinking what to respond with.

phoebe raynott
oh my god, i'm so sorry. i thought you were my producer

jacob elordi
no worries :) it sounded amazing by the way, you should be a singer

reading his message literally makes me start giggling and kicking my feet, i decide match his vibe.

phoebe raynott
nah, i don't think i'd make it

jacob elordi
fair, it's a crazy business out there
phoebe raynott ❤️ this message

it seems like an appropriate place to leave the conversation, so i decide to place my phone down and scream into a pillow, before sending the file and message to my actual producer, jack, checking about 7 times to make sure i'm sending it to the right person.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

it's 11am on a thursday, so it's fairly quiet in the small cafe i'm sitting in with isabel.

she's reading the messages from last night, she sets my phone down on the table and looks at me with a grin.

"phoebe, you could literally sell that" she grins, i squeal in response "i know"

"he wants you" she states "go for it."

i shake my head, "but how? i'm not great at flirting"

she laughs as she remembers the last time i flirted with a guy, i was trying to be smooth, but fell off a barstool and cracked my head open.

something catches her eye, it's the sheet of vogue 73 questions they had sent me to proofread before my interview tomorrow, just to make sure i'm comfortable with the questions, and will know what to answer.

she holds up the sheet and points to number 3 on the list 'what actor would you most want to do a love scene with?'

"this is the perfect opportunity" she tells me, i scoff in response.

"you want me to go on the internet and tell everyone i want to do a love scene with jacob elordi? that's stupid" she shakes her head "no, it's iconic" she argues.

"the worst he can say is no" she continues "look, he's clearly into you, and who wouldn't be? nobody on the internet would judge you, because look at him. and i know you like him, i can see it all over your face."

isabel has a weird way of being able to convince me to do anything, so i nod in defeat as she grins.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

t's notes
okay ahhhh i love this chapter !! although i love making the little instagram posts, i'm so happy i wrote the first proper jacob & phoebe interaction, i already love themmm !! & the next chapter will be the vogue 73 questions, which i've already started working on, i originally wrote it as phoebe actually answering 73 questions, but it was getting to like 5,000 words and i wasn't even close to done so i thought i'd just do the first couple of questions. also thank you for over 200 reads in 4 days, you guys are amazing <3
— tabs