015

ADRENALINE — CHAPTER 15vegas, baby!

vegas, baby!

11th november 2023
phoebe's point of view

"okay so you actually thought gunpoint was a real place?" i ask between laughs as jacob and i walk across the hotel casino.

he nods "i'm serious, until i was like 12, i'd always see stuff like 'man killed at gunpoint' or 'tourists held up at gunpoint' and i just kept thinking, why do people keep going there?"

i can't help but cough out a laugh, clutching the right side of my stomach.

we calm ourselves down a bit before quietly walking over to a blackjack table, taking 2 empty seats, trying to avoid any attention.

jacob throws a few poker chips into the small yellow rectangle in front of us on the table, the dealer looks up at us and nods.

"okay so in blackjack you're playing against the dealer" jacob begins to tell me "you wanna get as closer to 21 than the dealer without going over 21, if it goes over 21 it's a bust and the wager is lost."

he tells me, his lips almost pressed against my ear to make sure i can hear over the loud casino noises, making my stomach flip.

"jacks, kings, queens and 10s all count as 10, an ace can be played as a 1 or an 11, this casino plays at 11. the dealer will give you two cards, you can decide if you want to hit, so he'll give you another card, or stand, if you think you're close enough to 21. all your cards will be face up, the dealers first card will be face up, any others will be face down. if you get exactly 21 it's a blackjack" he continues "make sense?" he asks.

i nod "mhm" a wave of excitement passes through my body as the dealer hands out the cards.

face up infront of me is a jack and an 8 "so that's 18?" i clarify a jack's worth with jacob, he nods "yep."

i look to see the dealers one visible card, it's a 9. "he'll be closer to you if he has anything above a 10, so if you wanna hit again you can only get a 2 or 3 otherwise it's a bust" jacob tells me.

"hit" i say to the dealer, he nods and hands me another card, i cross my fingers and look, it's a 2, making it 20.

i squeal from happiness, probably a bit too loud considering a few people start to stare, and jacob chuckles lightly.

"stand" i tell the dealer, who shows his cards to be a 9, 5 and 3, making 17.

"so i won?" i clarify with jacob, before letting myself get too happy, a grin spreads his face and he nods "yeah you did."