Chapter 5

John was cleaning his camera in his room. He loved clicking pictures. Finally, he got the chance to click pictures for the magazine. That's when Spencer barged into his room.

"Oi! Give me that Mr.Brown books you have," said Spencer.

John looked around and tried to ignore him. He thought to himself, "I have already sold them... how can I give him the books?"

Spencer grabbed his face and slapped him slightly in a joking manner, "Get back on earth, you idiot!"

"Bro, what! What was that for?"

"You are way too much distracted, that's why. Now tell me where the books are."

"Umm...I don't have them."

"What?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

John tried to make an excuse, "I rented them to my friends for one month."

Spencer sighed, "How many books did you rent? As far as I know, you have all of the books."

John smiled awkwardly, "Every book... you see I wanted to buy this lens for my camera..so I rented my books to all my friends."

"Hehhhhhh???? How much money will you get by renting these?"

John said, "You don't need to know." His brother had a point.

"Fine. When will you get them back?"

John said slowly, "2 years." Just after saying this, he mentally cursed himself. 2 years...what was I thinking?

Spencer acted like didn't hear, "When?"

This time John almost shouted, "2 years!"

Spencer started fuming with anger, "You lied to me."

Spencer shouted this time, "You sold your books! You didn't rent them!"

"I am so sorry, bro." John started to run.

"You idiot! Now, I have to buy them." Spencer started running behind him.

Finally, after some time, both of them stopped.

Spencer said, "Come with me to the library."

"Sorry, brother. No one can do that. I have to go to my part-time job."

"What about your internship?"

"It's from next week."

Quickly, John escaped from the house.

Defeated Spencer had to go out again but this time he was all alone.

He entered a big bookshop and went to the thriller section. Buying all of Mr.Brown's books would be a bit too much. So, he was confused about what to buy.

A nice lady stopped by to help him, "Can I help you, sir?"

Her sudden question made him a bit startled, "Yes. Can you show me Mr.Brown's books?"

"Yes. Over here. Which one do you need?" The lady smiled.

"Which one of her books is the bestseller?"

"Her?" She asked.

"I mean him. Which one is.." Before Spencer could continue he saw a familiar face talking in her annoying voice.

"Penny.... what's this devil doing here?" He thought.

Penny was accompanied by a boy. It looked like she was scolding him.

Penny noticed the lady helping Spencer. She called, "Ahh Mrs.Adams! There you are."

Penny and the boy approached Mrs. Adams. That's when Penny saw Spencer. Spencer gave her a little wave.

Penny was holding a bag. She threw it into the hands of the boy with her.

Then, she went to Spencer and emphasised every word she said, "What are you doing here?"

Spencer smirked, "Why ?" He looked around and said, "I can't see anything written. Is there a policy that Spencer can't enter this bookshop?"

Penny was so mad. The boy beside her said, "OK. Penny. It's fine. It's fine." He held her shoulder and turned her around. Then, gave her a little push.

Penny seemed to understand this gesture. She walked away.

The boy looked at Spencer. He said, "Sorry, about her. She is fierce as ever. I am Noah, the advertising manager. I heard from Penny that you are Eleanor's illustrator. "

Spencer said, "I thought no one knew Eleanor's real identity."

Noah laughed."I was her editor before Penny. But, she was on a writer's block and then I got transferred to advertising that's why.."

Spencer nodded. Then, he looked at Penny who was checking the books on the shelf, "Why is an editor with you? You are from advertisement, right?"

Noah laughed sheepishly, "I ran out of ideas. She came to help me."

Spencer still looked at both of them with a suspicious eye. He thought, "Hmm.... something is weird."

In a desperate attempt to dodge any more incoming questions, Noah said, "What were you looking for?"

Spencer replied, "Mr.Brown's books. I don't want to buy much. I just want to know her writing style and attention to detail."

"Well then....," Then Noah picked two books. One was Mr.Brown's first book and another one was her latest book. This way, Spencer could see her improvements in writing.

Spencer walked out of the store. He liked this fresh air he missed it. After whatever happened 2 years back, he thought it was meaningless to face people, to go out and to socialise. But doing this once in a while didn't seem so bad.

He stopped in front of a shop where musical instruments were on display. He looked at the guitar. There was once a time when he couldn't live without playing his guitar. But, now, it has changed.

He started walking again. This time, he entered a bakery. He looked at the donuts and thought of buying them.

He went to the reception and saw that Eleanor was the receptionist.

Eleanor had enough. That day, John claimed that he was his friend. That's why, her colleagues teased her a lot saying that John was her boyfriend.

She didn't want that to happen again. So, she simply acted like she didn't know Spencer.

She said,"What do you want?"

"Chocolate donuts,"He replied.

She quickly packed them and told him the amount.

He said,"I didn't know you work here."

She whispered,"I don't know you. Don't talk to me! We will start working from tomorrow. I will text you."

Then, she said,"Who is Next?"

Spencer was a bit taken aback. How weird could this girl be? One moment she said that she didn't know him and now she told that they will work from tomorrow. Both her and Penny were crazy.

At least, Spencer knew that their work will start soon. He didn't want to admit but he was actually excited for it.