Chapter 11

After Spencer left, Eleanor called the waiter. She said to him, "It's rude to stare at people, you know." The guy raised his eyebrows.

Before he could defend himself, she continued, "Especially, when you have been sent by my uncle to spy on me."

He laughed, "The princess is smarter than I imagined."

She ignored him completely, "Now, why did he send you?"

He replied, "He wanted to know the source of your income, miss. A mere waitress at a bakery shop shouldn't have this much money, especially when she is not using her parent's wealth."

She started to lose her patience slowly, "How I earn my money is none of his business. Now, listen, you will not mention anything about this meeting I just had. Do you understand?"

He said in a teasing manner, "I don't know. looks like I have discovered a secret of yours, miss. This might be enough for your uncle to dethrone you from the heir's race."

She searched her purse and handed him a bundle of money. He looked around and made sure that no one was looking. Then, he quietly counted it. He nodded, "This is a fair amount. But, I don't know for how long I can keep my mouth shut with this."

Being annoyed, she frowned, "Keep quiet for the next 6 months, my birthday is coming soon. Then, you will get the rest."

He smiled," I shall take my leave then. Meet you after 6 months, princess."

She stomped her feet and started to leave. However, the guy called her again. This time he had a notebook in hand. She realised that it was Spencer's notebook. He said," Your partner left this."

She quickly took the notebook. She opened it just to make sure that it was Spencer's. The notebook belonged to him but under every picture, the signature was "Nick."

"Maybe, it's his nickname", she thought.

As soon as she left, she started breathing heavily. She murmured, "Calm down, Eleanor. Everything is fine."

Her relatives didn't know that she was a writer and she had no plans of letting them know. Being a writer is a disgrace to her family because it is not a decent job. Her mother didn't care about what she did. As long as she could live by herself, her mother was happy.

Her uncle was sending spies behind her for the last couple of months to discover a scandal of hers. This scheme of his has worked before. He managed to remove her sister from the race. Now, he was planning to do the same with her. She was sure that he would do the same thing with her brother too.

She sighed. After walking a bit further, she saw someone sitting on the street. She focused on that person. It was none other than Spencer. She rushed to that place.

Patting his back, she said, "Breathe in.. breathe out.. you are doing good."

She managed to make him stand somehow and made sure not to let go of him. He was having a panic attack. She didn't understand what could have triggered the attack but right now this wasn't her priority.

Finally, he regained his composure and looked at her. He said, "Eleanor?"

Giving him a weak smile, she nodded, "Yes, it's me."

Spencer's grip tightened. Time passed. They could see people walking. However, he didn't have the willpower to start moving again. Finally, after some time he removed his hand from hers.

He said, "I am fine now." Was he fine now? Even he didn't know.

Eleanor tried to say something. But, he interrupted her, "Just don't ask me what happened or don't tell me you are there if I need to talk. Because I don't want to talk."

She shook her head and said, "I wasn't going to. I know you won't say anything."

He adjusted his t-shirt, "Fine, then. Bye. See you later."

He started walking. After some time, he realised someone was following him. He looked behind and saw Eleanor.

As soon as she realised that he noticed her, she immediately started looking around.

He sighed, "Eleanor! Just what are you doing here?"

She smiled sheepishly, "Walking. Why?"

With his hand, he gestured for her to come beside him, "If you are going to follow me, please don't make it so obvious."

She argued, "I wasn't."

He replied, "You so were."

Finally, they reached his apartment.

He said, "I am here."

She looked pleased now, "I know. I didn't want to say anything to you because it's your matter. I didn't want to be a bother. But, I wanted to make sure that you reached safely. If you need to get your mind off things..."

"There is it.. she's going to say, you can talk to me. Everyone is the same. I thought she was different," He thought.

She continued, "You can always talk to John or your mom. They will understand after all they are family."

He didn't expect this. Normally, people like to make everything about themselves but she mentioned his family.

He turned to enter his apartment and she turned to return home.

Suddenly, he turned back. He called, "Eleanor!"

She turned towards him.

"Thank you," He smiled. This time it was a genuine smile.