Chapter 9

Eleanor got out of the cab and stopped in front of an apartment. It was not an expensive apartment but not cheap too.
She sighed. This was the first time she shared her complicated family dynamics with someone that is not her best friend. Or should she say her only friend?

Suddenly, someone held a bag in front of her. That person was standing behind her. She looked behind to see who was it. It was none other than Noah. Noah was taller than her, way taller. And he was her only friend. Noah was the literal definition of a jaw-dropping good-looking guy or some girls would say, a Greek god. But, she never thought of Noah like that. To her Noah was her goofy friend, with whom she could share everything.

She smiled, "Noah! You scared me for a second."

He smiled back, "Why? I told you I was coming." He handed the bag to her and then followed her. She finally reached her flat.

Then, she lifted the plant pot beside her apartment and collected her key.

He laughed, "You are still doing this? This is not a good hiding spot at all."

She ignored him.

She struggled with her lock. After trying a couple of times, finally, she opened the door. She set the bag on the kitchen counter.

She asked, "What did you bring?"

He replied, "Your favourite cup noodles."

He looked around. Her living room looked much tidier than before. She noticed this, "Only the living room is clean. My room? Not so much."

He laughed again, "I figured that much."

She put the cup of noodles on the table. Both of them were waiting to eat.

She said, "Why did you want to join me for dinner suddenly?"

He took a bite and started talking with his mouthful," I saw Penny. She was not in a good mood. She was complaining about something like- authors not knowing their characters."

This time, she took a bit from her cup noodles. She complained, "What's wrong with her?"

Noah tried defending her, "She has problems of her own."

She glared at him, "Really? Are you trying to get with her again? Spencer told me that he saw you and her together."

He raised his eyebrows, "Spencer? Oh..your illustrator? Yes. We were there for work purposes. As far as me and Penny are concerned, it's complicated. "

Finally, finishing his food, he said, "They have shifted me to Sales now. Apparently, my handsome face will help a lot in increasing sales."

Eleanor laughed loudly, "No way. Again? Can you stay in one place for once?"

He faked an angry face but later joined her in laughing.

After Noah took his leave, Eleanor did some small chores. Then, she returned to her room. As soon as she opened the door, a messy room was revealed. She kicked the pages laying around. Then, she picked up her headphones and opened her computer. This was time for her to play.

She messaged John, "Ready to kill?"

John replied, "Hell Yeah!"

Normally, they face-timed while playing. John as always started blabbering something about his work and some girl named Amelia. He had also changed his username to Javi. Eleanor understood that John had a massive crush on this girl named Amelia.

John gave her younger brother vibe. He was not too much tall and mostly resembled his brother. However, John looked more mature than Spencer.

John asked, "So, how was work with my devil brother?"

She pointed out, "Look out, there's Enemy behind you."

John managed to avoid the attack.

She replied, "Good. It was good."

He continued, "I am surprised that he can talk to you freely. After all, he's been a shut-in for 2 years. Ever since that happened..."

He realised he said something he shouldn't have.

She asked him, "What? What happened? John?"

She could see that John was trying to do everything to avoid answering this question. He looked here and there. Finally, he made an excuse that his brother was calling him and left the game in the middle. He had never done that before. Now, Eleanor was really curious. What happened to Spencer in the past?

She sat in her messy desk and started writing the story. It was about friendship, love and mutual understanding. However, each time she found herself being distracted. Every time Spencer popped into her head.

Spencer was good-looking. Not devilishly handsome like Noah but he was still good-looking. He had some kind of brown hair and a sharp jawline. Which feature of him was the best? Probably his eyes. Those were wonderful. But, his eyes always looked distant. They looked sad and hesitant as if something was bothering him.

Shaking these thoughts aside, Eleanor went to sleep. But, she couldn't get a proper sleep. She kept staring at the clouds painted on her ceiling. Something was wrong with Spencer... something really wrong.

Author's note: I changed my writing style a little. Is it better than before now?