Chapter 10

Trigger warning: Panic attack

Eleanor and Spencer exchanged messages back and forth.

Finally, they met face-to-face after two whole weeks. It was a cafe decorated in Victorian style. It was cold today. Eleanor wore a long jacket which made her look professional.

Spencer on the other hand wore a turtle neck T-shirt and a hoodie over it. The chain of the hoodie was opened. His hair had grown over time and now he looked pretty charming.

The waiter came to take their order. He was a 22 or 23-year-old guy according to Spencer. Both of them gave their respective orders but something bothered him. It was the waiter. He was constantly staring at Eleanor even when he was far away from their table.

Spencer had no idea whether she was dense or she was just ignoring that guy. But, his stares bothered him.

Eleanor looked extremely different today. Her hair was untied and the coat she had chosen today complimented her. She was wearing a new pair of glasses too. In a word, she was looking gorgeous but that doesn't mean anyone can stare at her.

He tried to ignore the waiter and focused on Eleanor. He was still not used to crowded places but lately, he was making improvements.

Eleanor handed him the manuscript. He read it attentively. Finally, he said, "Hmm.. I kind of agree with Penelope. The characters are a bit distant. But, I think you have something in mind. A backstory or something?"

This brought back a smile on her face, "Exactly! Finally, someone understands. They can't be buddies I'm the first chapter you know."

He nodded, "But.. you have written up to chapter 5 and till now Emu and Mayu, I mean our female lead and male lead haven't met each other. I think that's a problem."

She leaned back against her chair, "I know. It's just.. I feel weird you know. Normally, I inspiration from watching shows. But, in the case of the romance genre, I stop watching shows whenever the couple confesses to each other. And I skip all the romantic exchanges between them. It feels like I am intervening in their privacy. That's why, I can't find the inspiration to write something."

He smiled. She was too precious. Watching a show and thinking that you are preying on the couple's privacy.

He said, "Well.. romance needs to have some drama, miscommunication, maybe another lead?"

She looked at him in disbelief. How could he? She exclaimed, "This is exactly what I hate! You have a fiance and still fall for someone else? I don't care whether your fiance is bad or not. At least, breakup first. Why are you getting so close with someone when you already have a partner?"

Spencer admitted his defeat and told her to calm down, "Hey, that's the type of drama people like."

She frowned, "People like Toxic stuff. I don't. But, you are right. These are the things that bring attention to people. I can't.. I can't write these things. I have a second lead syndrome. I don't want to cry after reading my own story when the second lead doesn't end up with the girl."

Spencer at that very moment saw a different girl. It was Eleanor but she was different.  She was passionate about her work and highly opinionated. He wondered why she didn't show this side often.

He said, "Your opinions are too strong. You are going to upset most of the fangirls."

She replied, "I know... but these are my ideals. Still, if I have to break my ideals to write a successful story then.."

He leaned forward to convince her and accidentally touched her hand. Both of them noticed this but decided to ignore it.

He continued, "Hey! Hey! We don't know write. Let me start drawing then you will think of something. Moreover, it's the characters that make a story interesting right."

She nodded.

Spencer then opened his sketchbook and drew some scenarios roughly. She approved them.

The rest of the time they talked about some work-related stuff.

Eleanor looked outside. It seemed like it would snow soon. She loved the snow. He noticed it.

He smiled, "You love winter, don't you?"

She tugged her hair behind her ear. He noticed that it was a habit of her. She said, "Is it too obvious?"

He nodded.

Spencer was the first one to leave. He had to buy some groceries. Ever since he started working with Eleanor, he left his house more often. He stopped by the roadside for his turn to cross.

Suddenly, he saw something. An accident had occurred on the other side. There was a bike laying on the ground with drops of blood scattered around.

Suddenly, everything became blurry. He couldn't hear anymore. It seemed like he couldn't see anymore. Everything.. everything was disappearing Suddenly. He could hear voices.

Let's rock and roll people.

Wow! The beat you produced is amazing, Spencer!

Suddenly, he could hear screams.

Save me! Save me!

Get out, please! Spencer! Don't leave us!

Why are you alive, Spencer?

It seemed like he couldn't breathe. He was having trouble breathing. He sat on the ground. Why did he leave them? No! He didn't deserve to live! Why?

He was screaming in his mind, "Stop! Please, stop! I can't take this."

Suddenly, he felt a hand on his back. That hand was patting his back, soothing him slowly. He could hear voices, however it seemed distant

"Breathe.. breathe in.. breathe out... good. You are doing good." The voice said. Slowly, his vision became clear. But, it was not completely clear. He was still struggling with coping with the reality.

The owner of the voice now took his hand and helped him stand. That person was grabbing his hand strongly. He stood there for a while. Slowly, his breathing became normal. He was thankful to the owner of the voice. Finally, he turned to look at that person.